Re: Bachmann innovations.

I wasn't really meaning "RTR" brass. I like kits! :-)

Mould making is getting easier now that there are machines that go direct from CAD to milling machine. The same CAD drawing can be used for multiple scales which is why you see the same model in several scales from some manufacturers.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Who cares, as long as the hippy chick keeps appearing on our TV screens...8^)

(Hi 5 viewers will know EXACTLY where I and many many others I know are coming from.)

Reply to
Michael Walker

Australia's music scene wouldn't be the same without all the New Zealanders...(eg Neil and Tum Funn)...8^)

(Sorry, had a little too many bottles from the chully bun)

Reply to
Michael Walker

Then why assume finescale equates to 4mm. There are about 5,000 members in the Gauge 'O' Guild, the majority of whom model to equivalent EM or P4 standards. Add the 2mm and S gauge societies, some of the3mm guys, but you had better factor for those belonging to more than one society!

In article , John Turner writes

Reply to
John Bishop

John didn't. My argument was that there were more modellers of finecale 4mm UK outline than there were 3.5mm modellers of UK outline.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Quite a few 3.5mm etched brass kits are already available for UK outline including both the Dutch protoypes I mentioned.

That's a good point but I have yet to see a RTR model in both 3.5mm and 4mm from any manufacturer. One reason may be that the moulds still have to be finished by hand which is an extremely expensive, highly skilled and labour intensive operation. A more likely reason is that one model would detract from sales of the other thus making both of them uneconomic to produce.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

UK Channel 5 keeps repeating the programme where Charli Robinson dances in the zebra outfit. I'm guessing this is in response to viewers' requests? IIRC only men over 50 watch this kind of programme in the UK along with Buffy, Sabrina, etc.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

So what nutter bought the other 7998 odd Fleischmann Warships?

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.P.

I was thinking in terms of kits when I suggested manfacturers could be making various scales from the same CAD drawings. However, Lima made N, H0, OO and O scale models at much the same time.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.P.

I've never heard of "Hi-5" and I'm in NZ. That's not conclusive evidence of Aussie production as I don't watch Buffy, Sabrina and etc but I'm sure I would have noticed such a programme and made a mental note not to watch it again!

Greg.P. NZ

Reply to
Greg.P.

This is:-

Don't knock it till you've tried it :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

Really? The Scale 7 modellers are a very small percentage of that

5,000. And even if we accept that '0 fine' is equivalent to EM are there any survey results that put this as a majority? My suspicion would be that the majority will be made up of armchair modellers and collectors. Keith Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.
Reply to
Keith Norgrove

Trix had made one since the very early 1960s!

As far as I can see, the majority of model railway buyers (that largest group in the middle between "specific (fanatic) railway modellers", "toy buyers" and "collectors" will buy not only models specific to their theme, but models that take their fancy. I know plenty of hobbyists who not only run, say GWR branchline, but also have a US loco, a French loco, a ... etc. Consequently, they do put their US or continental loco alongside their 14xx etc and do care that the scales match.

That group is the group who would buy a Flying Scotsman or a Mallard in 1:87 scale and that is the group who keep Fleischmann's Warship and Bulleid coaches in their catalogue.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.P.

In article , Greg.P. wrote: ....snipped

Phil: Speaking as 'one of them' with a collection of 'overseas' stock - including Australian and South African and Continental and North American (Japanese only in N Gauge) -- it is not 'common scale' I need, but commonality in LOADING GAUGE and TRACK GAUGE so that I do not have to rebuid my entire layout to be able to pass the train from 'storage' area to 'test loop'/overhead catenary area - which without any buidlings is 'anyscale' landscape - unlesss bushes have to be pruned to a specific height? Oh - and now they ALL share Kadee style couplings, at the standard Kadee height. 8-)

An OO / HO / HOe/HOm on e / LGB modeller and previoulsy O gauge too. (and 3.5inch Hornby Rocket or two)

Reply to
Phil

Once you've put an H0 train on H0 track beside European H0 you can't go back to 00! = :-)

Great to see you're staying focused in your hobby!

Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.P.

In message , Greg.P. writes

I've got several American and Australian locomotives, which I put alongside my British stuff. I don't care that the scales don't match, because I'm running an impressionistic model railway, and that's good enough for me.

Reply to
John Sullivan

In message , Greg.P. writes

OO yes I can!