Re: Bachmann innovations.

In message , James Christie writes

The people who do it seriously run 12 inch to the foot layouts, and look what a complete mess they are making of it.

(Note - that comment does not refer to "preserved" lines, which as far as I am concerned, count as "playing trains".)

Reply to
John Sullivan

In message , kim writes

What about those class 37s and 58s that went to France and Spain, and those 66s that are being used in various other European countries?

Reply to
John Sullivan

You obviously have little or no knowledge of what is involved in running a preserved railway if you consider it as "playing trains", in some respects it's more difficult than the non preserved railways as the majority of the 'work force' are voluntary and need to be treated as such whilst still maintaining the standard the RI require.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Salvé

Fleischman are well known in Sweden for their abandoning Sweden as a market due to not selling enough here, I doubt they would in this case keep a model in its catalogue if they werent making money on it! Beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf

Salvé

How qbout all those Beyer-peacocks for Holland and Sweden and Denmark etc? Beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf

I've go one thing to say to that, DB VB 200 class....

If you don't know what I'm talking about you don't know the history behind the WR DH Warship class, I suspect that a lot of German collectors have a model of a WR Warship. I doubt many British modellers do.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

In message , ":::Jerry::::" writes

Yep, you're right there.

Reply to
John Sullivan

Oops - I was talking about the Fleischman model, not any model of the WR Warship.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I think they're beautiful but is there a strong demand for H0 models from that period? It's the kind of engine I would prefer to have in large scale in a display case. (I think some of my Dutch relatives already do)

Kim

Reply to
kim

Is there a proven demand in those countries with collectors paying up to £300 for RTR examples?

Bachmann will probably try to sell their 00-version in continental liveries like they did with the ex-WD but this time it will be competing with Mehano. Hornby might do the same with their old Lima moulding.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

And possibly Roco if

is to be believed!

Nigel

Reply to
Nigel Emery

wrote

Hi Nigel,

The sound decoder from that might have some UK interest!!!!

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Wiking, Busch etc do cars like Mk II Jaguars, E Types, AC Cbras, MG TD, ... I'll bet they would do more if there was an HO British market. Pola and Heljan do buildings.

They are not going to produce to an odd scale (4mm to the foot is certainly an odd scale!) and limit their market.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

I don't want different scales mixed together.

That really is a silly argument - we all know that the British loading gauge is smaller but the proprietry models are much the same size - wrong wrong wrong!

That is a possibility, but for 30 years and two completely different mechanisims?

Reply to
Gregory Procter

!:76 scale is very well established with military modellers around the world. There's a huge range of models available from the kit suppliers, as long as you don't mind limiting your choices of colour scheme..... Cheers, Bill.

Reply to
Bill Davies

If UK modellers will buy European models then why wouldn't European modellers buy UK models if they were the right scale? There are something like 5-6 times the number of people in Europe that there are in the UK so even if half the collectors each bought a UK model the total would be worth selling. The models don't have to be of locos used in Europe - a "Flying Scotsman" or a "Mallard" would sell to collectors and Roco is selling a second generation BR class 08 to the Dutch.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Sometimes I stray from my fairly strict modelling and just "play trains".

Sure, and they've revised the mechanisim once. If they produce a batch now and then then they're sell them now and then.

Reply to
Gregory Procter

Salvé :::Jerry:::: skrev i diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net...

I am well aware that it is basically a german design , even if Mr bulleids coaches arent! Beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf

kim skrev i diskussionsgruppsmeddelandet: snipped-for-privacy@individual.net...

A B-P loco is made in Holland and a beautiful model it is too! it is also sold in Sweden being almost identical to B-P locos sold to Sweden , it however an expensive model, but swedes regularly pay in excess of £3/400 for loco's using the Märklin system, so money isnt so big an obstacle. Beowulf

Reply to
Beowulf

Another myth. Put a small 4mm scale British steam loco alongside a large US steam loco and see the difference. I did this a couple of years ago to demonstrate the point to an American modeller who thought that. I used a 4mm scale GWR 14xx 0-4-2T loco against a USRA 2-8-0 + 0-8-2 Mallet. The 14xx looked positively large alongside the Mallet. True the

14xx is physically smaller, but the comparative sizes of the bits and pieces give the game away. After all the difference in scalers is 12.5 percent. The difference in loading gauges between UK and US isn't anything like that.

kim wrote:

snip

snip

Reply to