Science Museum

Rutherford was a physicist, hence my variation that emphasise the trade or profession rather than the tool(s).

Eg, engineers treat every question as a problem. Including the questions that aren't problems, such as "Does this dress make me look fat?" ;-)

cheers, wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K
[...]

Lovely!

wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

As a mathematician, I love it!

I would put it in the trashcan (sorry, in the dustbin).

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Must admit cant remember if there was a faith bit. Am sure there was something with 'islamic' in the title that suprised me as being part of the museum.

. Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

I loved the science museum when I was a boy - it started with the wonderfullly engineered model locomotives etc. But went on from there: I learned about mechanical advantage from the operate-it-yourself pulley, lever, gear etc displays long before we did it it at school. Similarly with the other stuff in the basement.

During the dark ages, the Islamic world was more scientifically and technologically advanced than Europe. They developed some pretty advanced hydraullcally operated machinery, were astronomers, chemists and mathematicians as evidenced by the "al-" words we inherited like the star names Aldebaran, Algol etc, alkali, alcohol in chemistry and algebra in mathematics. They also had the concept of zero as a number.

But while we were emerging from the dark ages and developing science, the Islamic world entered its own dark ages as fundamentalism took over.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Christopher A. Lee wrote: [...]

This is a common misconception. In fact, Islamic fundamentalism appeared about the same time as Christian fundamentalism, in the mid-19th century, and for much the same reasons: a growing literalism in the reading of the sacred texts, the growth of a technological civilization with its myth of "progress", and the growth of scientism (which is to science what fundamentalism is to religion.)

cheers, wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

"Scientism" is a religious straw man.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Maybe so, but a lot of people suffer from it.

cheers, wolf k.

Reply to
Wolf K

It wasnt the choice of an islamic display rather than another faith but that everything else was catagorized by section of science or relevance to man such as transport, computing, health matters etc.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

There is a new-ish museum of Islamic science in Istanbul, which sounded quite interesting but was shut when I got there last week.

Apparently it has some models...

Reply to
Arthur Figgis

They both study man-made constructs