Sodding point motors

Sure, but can you push the first button, alternate direction button and then the first button again, all within a second??? If you can then you reduce the value of the resistor, change the single diode for a bridge rectifier, or space the push buttons further apart. Alternatively just say: "Stop playing with those D*** buttons". When my kids were little I changed the resistor value.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg.Procter

Unfortunately as points are DCC controlled its select acc, select address. Push button - 'click' push button - 'click', ... push button - 'half hearted click' etc.... Have been looking for volume control but didnt realise can change childs resistance value. Do they then respond to voice commands ? Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

OK, they are nice features. But take a worst case :-

4 point decoder Only able to fire one point then requires recharge Route in fiddle yard with 4 points. Set route on computer.

If all on same decoder then must wait safe time for recharge between throws. If on 4 different decoders then no wait required - but can put one if want.

If you use a clever program, can set parameter of point to include which decoder its on. When throw point then set time that decoder will be able to throw next point.

Now you say but am using frame with levers so who cares - the person with the desire and ability to move multiple levers simultaneously.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Yes, this is one reason I am switching mine separately from the DCC. If I was doing modern outline I might well go for a PC-based mimic and switch that way but for now I think I will stick with the tried and true. For some values of true, and a lot of trying.

Guy

Reply to
Just zis Guy, you know?

This units built in CDU that has enough umph it can throw a pair of motors i.e. a crossover from one output. I have one button route setting for my fiddle yard in this case pressing a button causes at worst 6 points to be called one at a time and I watch and hear them switch one at a time. Something similar happens on the real railway, relay interlockings on the Southern from the 60's to the 80's, where all point motors driving at the same would exhaust the battery used to buffer the motors from the main supply. This unit does support LocoNet so direct computer control with feedback is possible but I went for a panel for simplicity over the joys of the Windows PC I have in the model railway room.

In the real railway mechanically linked points to lever the signalman would only be able to operate one at a time. In an electro-mechanical box where the levers operate point machines then it is possible but unlikely as point levers do not tend to be grouped together in a lever frame.

For me the simplicity of one unit with 8 outputs each able to drive 2 solenoids with switch input won out for me and also have the flexibility to drive individual outputs from DCC controller or computer. There's lots of ways to do it so use what works for you.

Chris

Reply to
Chris

The Sept issue of th Hornby mag has a simple article on Point Operation for DCC.

They suggest using Peco PL-10W lower current point motors for use with DCC.

The Bachmann Dynamis point decoder looks the part but @ =A330 a shot it a bit to costly for us.

Chris

Reply to
Dragon Heart