Sound chips

And Dapol is still making the Airfix kits that originated in the 1950s!

Reply to
MartinS

Hate to tell you this Kevin, but Herr Bachmann was a toymaker before Frank Hornby.

Reply to
Greg Procter

"Greg Procter" wrote

Sorry, but I think he was still making combs and other "vanity products" when Frank Hornby was producing Meccano, Hornby Trains and Dinky Toys.

The first Bachmann Trains didn't appear until the early 1950s although they entered the hobby market in 1947 with Plasticville.

DW

Reply to
David Westerman

They produced toys alongside combs etc from sometime in the 19th century. You're probably right about the trains though.

Reply to
Greg Procter

No he didnt he said it was an added complication.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Heck no, rarely make that mistake at work so little chance in a fun hobby.

cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

But took it to new hieghts.

But they realised its potential and developed then marketed it.

But not like these beauties.

But these will be runners and not with tender drive as well as super detail at this centuries standards.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

"simon" wrote

Yes indeed, as will the new Bachmann model, but remember that although the Airfix Scot was tender drive (as were virtually all Hornby locos at the time) the Mainline version was loco drive and both left anything for dead detail-wise which Hornby produced at the time.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

But I assume that we are talking the uk market here and Bachmann didn't appear until much later after acquisitions, much like the present Hornby of course.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Having no long since read the history of Hornby (found on the web, sorry, didn't keep the link) I think it's fair to say that the business entity that is what we call Hornby is essentially still the original, in as much as any business can say that. There have been tie-in's, buy-outs, groupings and un-groupings, but Hornby is still essenitally Hornby.

I don't know about Dapol making Airfix kits, but Hornby now own Airfix!

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

It most certainly isn't. The group calling itself "Hornby" today is essentially the business entity once known as Rovex and marketed under the name "Triang". It has no connection with the original Hornby company other than the right to use its name.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I didn't mean to imply any connection to Hornby, as in tin plate trains & Meccano, I meant that the Hornby is a direct descendent of Triang Railways -> Triang-Hornby -> Hornby (and various assorted configurations in between). As I started out with Triang in about

1964, I've never made any mental connection between what is now known as Hornby, and the orignal compnay of that name - despite having numerous Hornby Double O wagons as my Grandfather thought they "looked better".

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

"beamendsltd" wrote

Nah, totally different parentage to the original Mecanno created original.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Which of course they did, at least the later non-tinplate ones. However, the ones made for 3-rail had non-insulated wheels, and all had couplings incompatible with Tri-Ang.

Reply to
MartinS

They do, but I understand Dapol purchased the kit moulds from Airfix. Many moulds from now-defunct manufacturers have ended up with various successors.

Reply to
MartinS

You'll be telling me next that a mini isn't a BMW. The concept of any brand being anything other than a name went a long long time ago. Whoever owns the name is the brand.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

"Kevin" wrote

Mini is/was only a model, but even you would concede that the current model is not an Austin or a Morris.

Interestingly enough, the new Mini is not branded as a BMW as far as I can remember.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

I think that you can only buy them from a BMW dealer though.They certainly aren't advertised as a BMW, in this country at least. Who is to say how they are branded else where. I imagine in the UK the mini is to strong a brand image. One thing it aint though is a mini.

Kevin

Reply to
Kevin

Not so - Hornby Double O qagons (and some coaches) were made with insulated wheels in the later years (I had about a dozen) - the coupling problem was sorted out by Triang producing "converter" wagons - black 9 (?) plank mineral wagons with a Triang coupling one end and a Hornby Double O one at the other.

Richard

Reply to
beamendsltd

Mini Garage in Australia, always in the vicinity of a BMW dealer.

A different Kevin, (Martin)

Reply to
Kevin Martin