Spanner Size

What spanner size are the screws which retain the couplings on a Hornby Merchant Navy. I would presume the same screws would be used on all late model Hornby locos. Thanks

Jim

Reply to
James Gardiner

"James Gardiner"

If they are "screws", then won't you need a screwdriver?

If they are bolts, or nuts, then you'll need a spanner.

Reply to
Roger T.

"Roger T." wrote

I suppose technically they're small bolts.

John,

Reply to
John Turner

What if they are machine screws ? That's one that is threaded all the way to the head as opposed to a bolt that has 2/3 rds unthreaded portion

Reply to
Trev

Weather they bolts or screws with nuts on you still obviously need a spanner. I find one of those little combination electrical spanner sets for car distributers very useful. They have about 8 or 10 different sizes that fan out from a pivot. I think you can still get them in Halfords

Reply to
Les Pickstock

Halfords seem to do very well out of this newsgroup :o)

(kim)

Reply to
kim

I have to confess that I'm a fan of Halfords. Time was their tools weren't worth the money but in the last few years they have improved the quality no end. I have a socket set I bought there and it performs as well as a set 5 times the price. Halfords paint is also good value since they went to an acryllic formula and the own brand brake fluid is great for stripping paint off without destroying the plastic. Admittedly you have to be familiar with the store as the assistants are useless but you can't have everything.

Reply to
Les Pickstock

Now I don't normally defend sales staff but my local Halford sales staff are extremely good. Hornby put me on to Halfords when I wanted some conductive paint to programme old Zero 1 modules. I searched the local branch for a good 15 minutes and could not find it. A question to one of the staff and he took me by the hand - not literally - and plonked me in front of oodles of bottles of the stuff. For those interested the paint is sold as repair for heated rear screens. The bottle is small and expensive but can code about a thousand modules and unlike the old Hornby stuff as long as you keep the top on the bottle, does not go off.

Reply to
Chris

Its also good for making plastic centred wheels conductive for coach lighting or for use with split axles on locos, just coat the back of the wheel from tyre to axle. Keith

Make friends in the hobby. Visit Garratt photos for the big steam lovers.

Reply to
Keith Norgrove

Electro-lube do a silver loaded as well, good stuff, used some to get our tele remote control to work again, its a Grundig and they have been using sputtered metallics rather then conductive rubber contacts...

Reply to
Badger

Nearest thing we have is Canadian Tire (sic), but they have a lot more than just automotive stuff.

Reply to
MartinS