Time Scales

To modelling ECML John. I just didn't want to set my layout in say '53 with german style smoke deflectors. I'm faced with a limited budget, a failing memory & a burning desire to get this project off the ground. A lot of the questions I have can be answered by local dealers as DCC etc isn't regional specific but questions about the LNE Region I thought would be easy for uk modellers to post advice on. As I said I had no desire to give offence with my questions but obviously I did so, like others who have emailed me, I'll go back to just reading posts in the hope of picking out relevant information.

Norman

Reply to
Norman

Thanks Jim. I followed your link, these books look great & I have a $400 cheque coming from the provincial government this week so I might just get one or two. Thanks again Norman

Reply to
Norman

Norman,

I didn't realise you were not in the UK when I responded. There, an option to avoid laying out cash is to get the book from a lending library which normally gives you enough time to trawl a book for any details you need. But that is probably not an option for you where you are considering the kind of books you might want to borrow.

But Yeadon seems to be the bible(s) on matters about (ex)LNER locomotives. I'm not an LNER modeller as such, so don't have any detailed information about LNER locos, but I always see professed LNER experts quoting Yeadon. :-)

Jim.

Reply to
Jim Guthrie

"Norman" wrote

Newcomers are very welcome on here - don't take Jerry's position as being representative. He's been in my 'killfile' more often than the proverbial hot dinner.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"Norman" wrote

OK that makes more sense. The biggest give-away to the period of any British Railway liveried model is the crest on the tender (or tank) side.

The loco carries the BR coat-of-arms (late crest)

which was applied to locos as they went through the works from c.1950, whilst this one
has the early emblem which was applied up to 1957.

Bear in min though that some locos may never have had a works visit after

1957 and consequently could well have carried the early crest though to the time they were withdrawn (in the mid-1960s in some cases).

Mainline coaches were crimson & cream until 1957 and were progressively repainted into maroon from then until about 1965 when blue/grey was applied.

The best guide to authenticity is to look at period photographs from the period which interests you.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

"John Turner" wrote

Which is of course absolute rubbish - the coat-of-arms was applied from c.1957 and NOT 1950.

John.

Reply to
John Turner

find Railway Liveries, BR Steam 1948-68 by Brian Haresnape ISBN

0-7110-1856-1, you never know what Amazon can find.

I agree that's a useful book, I could'nt find a copy on the correct side of the Atlantic for the OP via used.addall.com , but this copy in the UK might be cheap enough to make the shipment costs worthwile :-

airsmoothed

Yes I do, how else can you expect to get even close to a correct answer ?!...

Tell me the livery of those loco's that work through the San Joaquin Valley CA please?

Which type of loco and which railroad company I hear you ask.....

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Thanks. I ordered it.

Norman

Reply to
Norman

I realised what you meant. Thanks a lot.

Norman

Reply to
Norman

Jerry your track record in this newsgroup shows you to be a very aggressive & antagonistic person. I suspect that face to face you would be as meek as the proverbial church mouse but anonymity allows you to assert your feeble manhood. Now please if you don't like my postings just ignore them or I'll have to tell your wife that you've taken your pinny off & left the sink. With you I am going to follow Desiderata & "avoid loud & vexatious persons".

Norman

Reply to
Norman

Yes but how do we know that you and Jerry arent the same person, perhaps using the Jerry persona to say what you really want to when cusomers are about !

Has anyone ever seen them on the same computer at the same time ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
eric

Drop dead.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Jerry you are so predictable. Thanks for proving my point.

Reply to
Norman

"eric" wrote

If you knew me at all then you'd know I call a spade a spade even when customers are around. ;-)

Anyway how do we know you're not really Erica Simon?

John.

Reply to
John Turner

Aha. That's pretty limited: The RCTS Green Bible PArt 2A says Gannet only ran with a non-corridor tender from June 1953-June 1954 (tender

5675) and April-Sept 1955 (tender 5670). At both those times it would have had the early crest (it probably got the late crest when ex-works 15 March 1957) and it didn't get a double chimney till its next General repair, ex works 27 November 1958. Tender numbers and works dates from Yeadon Volume 2.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Illingworth

True you dont, but then am not saying I'm not.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
eric

Seems as though Yeadon is going to be a MUST have not a NICE TO have :-)

Norman

Reply to
Norman

"Norman" wrote

I'll do you a deal on all 38 volumes (some in multi-parts) which have been released to date! ;-)

John.

Reply to
John Turner

John My email is honest Speak to me, I'm interested

Reply to
Norman