Worst models?

John Turner mentioned the Hornby Dublo Deltic.
I raise you Lima 4F's in HO and O scales.
Kevin Martin

--
To Reply, delete what is "Not Required" in abbreviated form

You missed out the Lima 4F in N gauge... Luckily I bought it cheaply S/H, and sold it to another dealer a week later for a little bit more. He also took the Lima Deltic and some Lima coaches. All of them seemed to be to different scales.
--
Dave,
Frodsham

Sorry to be a bit vague, but wasn't there a Trix, or maybe early Lima model of what was supposed to be a BR Bo-Bo diesel locomotive released in the 1960s, which was nothing like the original but had a BR number on it?
I remember a caustic review in Railway Modeller, and would Google it if only I could remember enough about it.
Or is my memory playing tricks after all these years?
If not, that would be my candidate for worst model.
On Tue, 27 Jan 2009 07:30:15 -0800, crazyh0rse1 wrote:

I seem to recall Palitoy or similar did a Baby Warship, or at least that's what it looked like from a distance.
Cheers Richard
--
I have become...............comfortably numb

I dont like the DC Kits items, the resin locos are poor, and the plastic kits are non standard, surley it would be better to use a diferent plastic, other than ABS ! Most modellers that i have talked with at shows use liquid poly / slaters mek pak and DC Kits dont stick that well with either Misc
contains these words:

On 27/01/2009 15:49, Misc said,

No, so don't use polystyrene glues! You wouldn't use Liquid Poly ("Poly"styrene cement) to stick brass, so why use it to stick ABS? I use EMA Plastic Weld or Butanone, both available from C&L. I agree about the resin locos (awful material!) but DC Kits' plastic kits are just fine if you use the right solvent, and put a bit of work into them :-)
--
Paul Boyd
http://www.paul-boyd.co.uk /

Yes, maybe that was it, or perhaps the Playcraft class 29.
Sorry Trix, I might have done you a grave dis-service.
John
"beamends" wrote

Playcraft?
Or was it Joueff?
John.
On Wed, 28 Jan 2009 00:40:05 -0000, "John Turner"

It was Palitoy, in HO, before they did the Mainline range.
Playcraft were narrow gauge on 9mm track, along the lines of Eggerbahn. I seem to remember a Decauville and toastrack coaches.
Joueff did a OO class 40.

"Christopher A. Lee" wrote

Playcraft also had a OO/HO range which was crap and which included either a class 22 or 29, Joueff (when it was Irish owned) did a 'Warship' of sorts, from memory. The latter was a useful source of spares for the class 40s as it used many common drive components.
John.

The Irish factory was French in conjunction with the Irish government. Much of their output was from old disused Jouef moulds. OTOH there were some BoBo loco bodies designed to go on a standard BoBo chassis so the body length was adjusted.. I bought an assortment of bodies from a shop after the venture ended. German E10(?) Italian E424. French 15000(?) I think I paid a pound each - missed out on a Warship though.
Greg.P.

Jouef did a range of british outline HO in the early 70's, it was distributed and sold through Woolworths under the Playcraft banner. And yes, the class 29 wasn't all that good! I know, I had one, but when you were 7 or 8 and Santa gave you an 8' x 4' double oval with sidings and lots of goods wagons you really didn't care about fine detail.... Badger.

It was also sold through model sjops under the Jouef name. My first train set was a Jouef one.
MBQ

Jouef bought the Egger Bahn moulds: I always intended to get an HO9 layout, but they disappeared just about the time I had the money, then second hand Fiery Elias and steam railcars began to go for v.silly money and now I am in the US where it's all HOn3 (nice models though). If someone has some but needs some US outline, perhaps an exchange would be in order.
David
Christopher A. Lee wrote:

I had one, it was dog. It was a choice between that and a Wrenn-Lima N-gauge train-set but the packaging of the latter suggested it ran off a 6-volt battery pack which put me off completely.

Got one of those too. Not bad by the standards of the day.
(kim)

Jouef manufactured for Playcraft. Some of Playcraft's models were existing Jouef models with BR stickers (all the bogie wagons for example) Some were Jouef for the British market, and presumably Playcraft commissioned some models.
Greg.P.
Greg.Procter wrote:

The buildings were made by Pola and were quite a bit better than the British products of the time. Playcraft track utilised combined points/motors/manual switches so required none of the expensive add-ons of the Triang-Hornby equivalent. The train-sets also included the first track-mats I can recall but they were a bit too French-looking for British tastes.
(kim)
Re DC Kits ABS Plastic. The kits are produced in ABS to make the bodysides thin, especially on the windows. ABS will not be melted by slaters Mekpak. The answer is so simple, buy some ABS glue!!! Use Butanone from DC Kits or C&L Finescale.
The Resin Kits currently in production are:
Class 71, 74 , 81 , 85, Wickhams Trolley & Scotrail DBSO. All these are quite good, some of the earlier kits in the 1990s were not as good, but these are not available now.
Charlie DC Kits
url:http://myreader.co.uk/msg/135113612.aspx
I've built a lot of Charlie's kits for myself and other people. Never had any trouble. MEK is a group term for a range of similar chemicals, of which Butanone is one.

snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk writes

Excuse my lack of knowledge, but I thought MEK was an abbreviation of methyl-ethyl-ketone, which is another name for butanone.
--
Jane
British OO, American and Australian HO, and DCC in the garden