Worst models?

They suggest throwing away the chassis and replacing it with a Lifelike chassis, narrowing the body, slicing it at the mid-line below the windows and creating the inward angle of the upper side panels, replacing the buffer beams entirely, and then adding detailing. High praise indeed!!! ;-)

Greg.P. (into British HO)

Reply to
Greg.Procter

Want a Lima 4F then - free if you collect. You may ask why I have one, but then may hijack this thread and ask whats the daftest mistake anyone has made when buying a model ?

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

In message , Greg.Procter writes

Isn't that because it has no competition?

It'd probably be easier to scratchbuild one.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

Jouef bought the Egger Bahn moulds: I always intended to get an HO9 layout, but they disappeared just about the time I had the money, then second hand Fiery Elias and steam railcars began to go for v.silly money and now I am in the US where it's all HOn3 (nice models though). If someone has some but needs some US outline, perhaps an exchange would be in order.

David

Reply to
chorleydnc

I had one, it was dog. It was a choice between that and a Wrenn-Lima N-gauge train-set but the packaging of the latter suggested it ran off a 6-volt battery pack which put me off completely.

Got one of those too. Not bad by the standards of the day.

(kim)

Reply to
kim

snipped-for-privacy@4ax.com...

It was also sold through model sjops under the Jouef name. My first train set was a Jouef one.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

The Jouef MK3s were fairly accurate models I seem to remember.

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

Bachmann's first attempt at the Class 37?

Fred X

Reply to
Fred X

On 28/01/2009 22:04, simon said,

That's a hell of a trip to collect ;-)

Reply to
Paul Boyd

I'd like to feel it was wanted and would be looked after.

Cheers, Simon

Reply to
simon

Yes they were - and still the only decent model of a Mk 3a locohauled coach produced in 00 ready to run.

Reply to
John Nuttall

For the sake of discussion, let's choose post WW2 items, once Tri-ang started making models available to the peasants. Plastics made models possible that were not practical pre WW2.

Kevin Martin

Reply to
Kevin Martin

I see that someone has nominated Trix Twin locos. I accept that they were certainly not scale models (!) but when I was running hornby dublo in the fifties one of our local shops was agent for Trix and they always had a certain fascination. They were also expensive but those chunky little tank and tender 0-4-0's were seen as highly desirable among many schoolboys.

I have a small collection (off ebay) and although they wont be runners they still evoke the fifties to me and engineering-wise I think they were pretty good. They were also robust which is more than you can say for most of today's superb models and those horrible little couplings!

John East (Lincoln UK)

Reply to
John East

Re DC Kits ABS Plastic. The kits are produced in ABS to make the bodysides thin, especially on the windows. ABS will not be melted by slaters Mekpak. The answer is so simple, buy some ABS glue!!! Use Butanone from DC Kits or C&L Finescale.

The Resin Kits currently in production are:

Class 71, 74 , 81 , 85, Wickhams Trolley & Scotrail DBSO. All these are quite good, some of the earlier kits in the 1990s were not as good, but these are not available now.

Charlie DC Kits

url:

A C Petty

Reply to
intercityman2000

EVEN Better Dont Buy any old claptrap, and wait for Bachmann / Heljan / Hornby to bring out ready to run models Misc

Reply to
Misc

In message , snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk writes

Excuse my lack of knowledge, but I thought MEK was an abbreviation of methyl-ethyl-ketone, which is another name for butanone.

Reply to
Jane Sullivan

This is where it gets confusing! AIUI you're right with regard to what MEK stands for, but Slater's MekPak isn't MEK so won't weld ABS plastic. Slater's website makes it clear it's only for polystyrene.

Reply to
Paul Boyd

It was originally methyl-ethyl-ketonem hence MekPak, but health and safety regs made them change it as it was carcinogenic. They kept the brand name.

Reply to
Christopher A. Lee

Carinogenic? Guess I'd better stop using butanone as a general purpose solvent then! Oh s*&t!

Reply to
Paul Boyd