Brazing 11 gauge steel

On 06/02/13 11:08, John B. wrote:

If "over here" is in the UK or EU I can perhaps put you onto a supply of "real" MAPP gas. Might need a different torch or an adapter, it has en412 (I think that's what it's called, used on butane torches and camping stuff) threads.
There is also the MAP_PRO type of gas (propylene, comes under several other names apart from MAP:PRO), but that is fairly easily available, most plumbing supply shops carry it.
(Technically MAPP is a tradename, but the people who own the name stopped making it about five years ago. People like Rothenburger and Benzomatic started selling propylene under names like MAP:PRO and MAP:PLUS instead, as a substitute.
However "real" generic MAPP gas was/is methylacetylene/propadiene mix stabilised with propane or more likely commercial propane/butane mix. while MAP:PRO and the like are pure-ish propylene.
MAPP is better, especially for welding - you can just about weld with oxy/MAPP, but forget about it with oxy/MAP:PRO.
However for air-gas torches, the difference is less important, and air/MAP:PRO is usefully hotter then air/propane. )
-- Peter Fairbrother
On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 12:27:55 +0000, Peter Fairbrother

Nope. Over here" is Thailand but probably covers Malaysia and Singapore also as I have enquired in a number of places and "no have".

--
Cheers,

John B.

I already own the propane torch and I'll try it first. Went to Home Depot this morning and was disappointed they only had Lincoln Electric KH515 brazing rod which has no silver at all.
I assume that the Lincoln Electric Stay-Silv 56 is the same as Harris Safety-Silv 56, but they don't stock it at my local store. I can't get to the welding shop today. 70,000 PSI sounds plenty strong.
The Depot did have a MAP gas rig for only $42. http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202185045/5yc1v?catalogId 053&langId=-1&keyword=map+torch&storeId051&N%ecodZ5yc1v&R 2185045#.URE8cfLYGSo It is supposed to get significantly hotter than propane, and I would be willing to purchase one for this project - could probably find uses for it in the future.

KH515 is a brazing rod not a silver solder.

I never heard of Lincoln Stay-Silv, but if it is Harris Stay-Silv it is formulated for use with copper tubing and contains phosphorus which acts as a flux for copper but causes brittleness in steel. Probably not what you want :-)

--
Cheers,

John B.
On 06/02/13 11:18, John B. wrote:

Harris Stay-Silv 56 does not contain added phosphorus. There are grades of Stay-Silv which do, but not the 56% grade, which is specified by Harris as being particularly good for nickel alloys and stainless (and no mention of copper pipes).
-- Peter Fairbrother

I picked up some Radnor Safety-Silv 56, it must be a subsidiary of Harris Products.

Radnor is made by Harris and is (I think) a name for their flux coated rod.
--
Cheers,

John B.
On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 12:28:05 +0000, Peter Fairbrother

I was originally talking about Harris Saftey Silv. Not Stay Silv. I think the reason it is called Safety Silv is because it contains no cadmium. Anyway, it is good for steel. Eric
On Wed, 06 Feb 2013 09:05:56 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@whidbey.com wrote:

Yes, Safety-Silv does not contain cadmium and yes it is good for steel. I was responding to the O.P.'s reference to "Lincoln Stay-Silv".
--

I don't see any "Stay-Silv 56" listed in the Harris catalog and all the "Stay-Silv" I see listed does contain phosphorous. There is a "Safety-Silv 56" though. http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/en/Products/Alloys/Brazing/Phos-Copper/Stay-Silv-15.aspx
--
Cheers,

John B.

I already own the propane torch and I'll try it first. Went to Home Depot this morning and was disappointed they only had Lincoln Electric KH515 brazing rod which has no silver at all.
I assume that the Lincoln Electric Stay-Silv 56 is the same as Harris Safety-Silv 56, but they don't stock it at my local store. I can't get to the welding shop today. 70,000 PSI sounds plenty strong.
The Depot did have a MAP gas rig for only $42. http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202185045/5yc1v?catalogId 053&langId=-1&keyword=map+torch&storeId051&N%ecodZ5yc1v&R 2185045#.URE8cfLYGSo It is supposed to get significantly hotter than propane, and I would be willing to purchase one for this project - could probably find uses for it in the future.

DAMN SERVER.

I already own the propane torch and I'll try it first. Went to Home Depot this morning and was disappointed they only had Lincoln Electric KH515 brazing rod which has no silver at all.
I assume that the Lincoln Electric Stay-Silv 56 is the same as Harris Safety-Silv 56, but they don't stock it at my local store. I can't get to the welding shop today. 70,000 PSI sounds plenty strong.
The Depot did have a MAP gas rig for only $42. http://www.homedepot.com/p/t/202185045/5yc1v?catalogId 053&langId=-1&keyword=map+torch&storeId051&N%ecodZ5yc1v&R 2185045#.URE8cfLYGSo It is supposed to get significantly hotter than propane, and I would be willing to purchase one for this project - could probably find uses for it in the future.

t/202185045/5yc1v?catalogId053&langId=-...

propane is hot enough, but on larger items can not supply heat fast enough. Erik has some good suggestions about using insulating fire brick to contain the heat. I have used more than one small propane torch to heat things faster.
Dan

propane is hot enough, but on larger items can not supply heat fast enough. Erik has some good suggestions about using insulating fire brick to contain the heat. I have used more than one small propane torch to heat things faster.
Dan
I did make a mental note about his suggestion. The welding shop doesn't have fire brick or glass wool, but I'm keeping my eyes open.
Waiting on parts anyway, so no hurry.

Pottery supply places and foundry suppliers. Seattle Pottery on the West Coast. Sheffield Pottery Ceramic Supply East Coast.
Dan

Would pink insulation make a good shoebox sized brazing grotto? http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId 194032&cp189093.2625780.1259889

"The Complete Metalsmith" is in transit.

I don't think pink insulation, or any type of home fiberglass insulation will work. I think they use some kind of binder that you probably don't want to breathe when it outgasses from the heat. Where are you located? Anywhere near Seattle? Eric

Ha, Not very close.
I'll find a local source. Ebay and Amazon charge as much for shipping as they do for the bricks.
I'd prefer glass wool because I could stick it in a jar to save for future projects. I wonder if 1/2 oz is enough to accomplish anything.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-2-oz-14-grams-Pyrex-Glass-Wool-Filtering-Fiber-am-011-/160965556281?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item257a4b7839

as

Try the gardening supply for Vermiculite and perlite. Building supply for Rock wool. Not glass wool.
Dan