How to crack this Meilink safe

    A pity that there was nothing in it. I would not have expected valuables, but perhaps something interesting to read at least. :-)
    Did you make any attempt to recover the lock? I would have. Once you have one apart, you can reset the combination to something known. But working through that hole you made would not be fun, especially if you don't already know how the locks are installed and assembled.
    Enjoy,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail

Well! THAT was ten minutes wasted! <G>
I knew it would be easy, Ig.
Lloyd
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh wrote:

I have a few old fire safes in my shop. I lift the doors off and set them on the back. They get used to catch hot scrap. Like bolts/nuts that got cut off with the torch or weld slag off the bench. Anything that might cause problems. When they get filled I put the doors back on, lock them then weld a small bead on the seam. Then they hitch a ride on the scrap truck when our town has clean up days.
--
Steve W.

On 20/03/14 14:42, Ignoramus10422 wrote:

I guy I know used to work in a quarry and they had been using an old safe that was around as an anvil for years. At some point it eventually got opened and it was found to be full of sweating dynamite, seems it was the safe for storing it in safely and that had been forgotten. The bomb squad got called and the stuff was safely disposed of and all that had used it thought what if it had gone up, of course if it had they wouldn't have known about it.

That's pretty funny.
On 3/20/2014 4:30 PM, David Billington wrote:

I've heard that dynamite put into a camp fire burns gently without exploding.
--
.
Christopher A. Young

What a fun story!

Grant Sarver was a working blacksmith in Tacoma WA who had a standing contract with many demo companies to repoint their jackhammer bits.
One day he put a pile of bits in the forge to heat up and walked back to his office. The explosion took out is forge, all the windows in his shop and a few other innocent bystander tools nearby. Turns out the demo company sent him some old bits that had been made from sucker rod from a rock quarry. One of them had been used to pack ammonium nitrate into blast holes and the hole down the center of the bit had become packed full of it. When the ends got peened shut from use nobody knew it was a pipe bomb. You can pound on ammonium nitrate all day long and nothing happens, but it didn't seem to like being heated to 1600 degF.
The demo company gave him a new forge and a small pile of cash.
Grant Sarver passed away a few years back. Larry Langdon inherited his bit pointing business.
On 3/20/2014 7:42 AM, Ignoramus10422 wrote:

Are telling us you don't have any Russian friends that were KGB?
Paul

Yes, but he is only good at shooting, not safe cracking

    Have you tried the "storage" combination? Assuming that the dial is a 0-100 dial, try 25, 50, 25, 0, starting to the left with over three full turns and stopping on 25. Then right two full turns plus what it needs to reach 50, then left one full turn plus what is needed to reach 25, and finally right to 0. Then, depending on the lock, either turn a tumbler bar in the center of the knob if present and keep going as far as it will go (perhaps another 1/8 turn or so), or just keep going to the right and see whether it unlocks. If it doesn't work you're out a few minutes of fiddling with the dials.
    If what is in it is paper, torching it from any surface will likely burn the paper. But the bottom might be the easiest path in.
    Or -- put it just outside the door, and let it be known that it has gold in it -- and wait for someone else to open it before you pounce. :-)
    Good Luck,         DoN.
--
Remove oil spill source from e-mail
On 3/20/14 7:42 AM, Ignoramus10422 wrote:

A Skilsaw with a cutoff wheel along the left edge of the door about an inch in from the seam should do the trick. You want to cut the bolts, likely two of them equally spaced. Wear goggles!
On 3/20/2014 10:42 AM, Ignoramus10422 wrote:

Drill one hole, fill with water then insert a small explosive charge.