Enfield charging set

I'm off to buy one of these tomorrow. Photos at

Quality poor as they are scans of hard copies.

This is about as complete a one as I've seen but needs side covers - anyone else got one I can compare it with?

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

What are the electrical specs of the unit? The Bofors gun sets were 130 Volt three phase, so unlikely to be of much use for domestic power.

Reply to
Nick H

I went across the bridge to Welsh Wales this afternoon and bought it. It is absolutely complete with its side covers and unmucked about with aside from a thin coat of bilious green paint on the side covers.

The gentleman's father bought it in 1947 (it was six years old then) for fifty quid - serious money, my dad was on a thousand a year in 1947 and he was the highest paid man he knew! The intention was to produce electricity for their remote farm in the Black Mountains. It turned out to be so thirsty he could not afford to run it, so it languished in a shed more or less unscathed until now. It rotates, has compression etc, but doesn't fire although it was running two years ago when the coils were rewound. I bet the points are gunged up.

I paid the nice man, measured it up and when I get the Volvo back, will take my WW2 bomb trolley over and bolt it in place as a permanent exhibit. There will be room fore and aft for at least two other engines.

Apart from very heavy, can anyone help me out with a weight of the complete unit? The trolley isn't braked, although is otherwise very much up to the job.

More photos before I go to bed!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Yes, but the coventry climax sets were the same, 3 Phase 100V. All the ones I have seen have two phases wires in series to give one 220V winding. Crude and not really desirable to load up two phases like that... but it works. The alternator on this set also looks identicle to my coventry set.

2.75KVA is max rated output but I have loaded it up to 3.5KVA on the two phases at 240V.

Cheers,

James

Reply to
James Whyte

I forgot to say - in a box came four 120V 300W bayonet cap bulbs plus a single ceramic bulb holder, three 110V 60W bulbs and a screed of old rubberised canvas wiring. I take it these are not common these days ...........

I secured these and brought them home!

Does anyone else here own one of these or know someone that does? It comes with no manual.

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

"James Whyte" wrote (snip):-

C'est brutal mais ca marche!

Reply to
Nick H

"Kim Siddorn" wrote (snip):-

Try Mike Diprose. He has a working Kerrison predictor and I believe examples of the Enfield and Douglas gen sets. He wrote to me asking for some details of the Scott/Jowett set some time ago and to my shame, I havn't replied yet! If you don't have it, I'll send address (off list ) but will have to wait 'till I get home and find the letter, though I think it may have appeared in SEM at some time in connection with the Enfield set.

More pics please, including detail of diagrams etc in lid ;-)

Reply to
Nick H

Here's some better pictures

including the circuit diagram inside the instrumentation lid. There are three slip rings on the alternator - does that make it three phase? There is no mention of 3Ph, just 130volts at 50 cycles.

From the lack of response, I assume no-one else has one. That's usually the inference to be drawn on this NG and I personally think it's a lot more sensible than a chorus of "No, mate." "Wouldn't be seen dead under one" "I had one but sold it for fourpence yesterday" etc, etc .........

If it's single phase, it might actually be useful occasionally!

Regards,

Kim Siddorn

Reply to
Kim Siddorn

Circuit certainly looks like 3 phase.

Surely you can frob the regulator to get it to run at 110V ? Then you can just rig up a 3-phase lighting board with standard "yellow plug" kit, run a 110V 50Hz 3 phase motor (there must be some !) or simply use a single phase of it as a small single phase supply. Unless you pull enormous power from it, the unbalanced load shouldn't hurt for demonstration or camping purposes.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

The circuit does read as 3 phase (3 slip rings), wires A, B & C in diagram, comming off the alternator and to the 3 phase outlet plug. Note ammeter and voltmeter are only off one phase on the assumption the loads are balanced.

Reply to
James Whyte

It's definitely 3-phase, Kim. The electrical diagram:

shows the terminals L1 L2 L3 and the 3-pin output connector, and the phase sequence is stated on the panel, so you most definitely have a

3-phase unit, no other possibilities I'm afraid. Peter

Prepair Ltd