G23 info needed

Hey, cant seem to get a G23 manual link for PDF document to work on Horizon site. I was looking at how this engine mounts and the best position to put the prop in realation to the mag. any one? please and thank you.

Reply to
Dell Shannon

It may vary from person to person because of different techniques for starting as well as right or left handed starting (over the top right-to-left swing or underneath left-to-right swing). The simple answer is that you want the magnet to pass over the pickup at the exact moment (or maybe a 1/4" after) that your fingers slip off the prop when flipping. The reason for that is that it is at that point at which the magnet is traveling it's fastest and it takes at least a 600rpm speed to fire the magneto. So sit in front of the aircraft and go through the motion of how you flip the prop and then align the prop to achieve what's described above.

MJC

"Dell Shannon" wrote in message news:c21qgg$lg5$ snipped-for-privacy@news.netins.net...

Reply to
MJC

You'll find as many starting and prop schemes for gas motors as there are users.

This one comes from someone who developed a large amount of muscle tissue trying to get these damn things to start. :-)

  1. Align the prop with the magnets on the flywheel & tighten. This way, wherever the prop points is where the magnets are. (you'll see now why)

  1. The biggest mistake people make with these gas motors is to start flipping the prop at the start of compression, which also happens to be when the magnets are already under the ignition pickup. The result is that no spark is produced (its designed that way) and you flip until you're blue in the face.

With the engine primed;

  1. With the prop pointing in the same direction as the magnets, simply turn the prop to the 1 or 2 o'clock position. The magnets will now obviously also be aligned correctly - slightly before they move under the ignition pickup.
  2. "Flip-turn" the prop quickly through compression for about 90-120 degrees and take your hand away.
  3. It will start on the 1st flip every single time, cold or not.

That works for me.

Cheers CG

Reply to
CG

Dell:

Get yourself a "Sullivan DynaTron" hi-trok starter..It runs off my 12 v battery in my field box..I use this to start my G-23's and G-26's..no more flipping problems....

Reply to
JBonaRC