Tower Hobbies ??? The Good, Bad and the Ugly...

JB

Well, this thread is crossposted on rec.models.rockets (which is where I'm actually reading it) and rec.models.rc.[air,land]... which group are you reading it on?

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

As far as I can tell, they've never actually started...

Reply to
SD

This is being read in rec.models.air. Cross posting is highly discouraged because that's why we have topic specific groups. I've left all the other groups in the "TO" box above so that other's might see this and quit doing it.

MJC

Reply to
MJC

I got sick of waiting for my order so I called Tower yesterday. As it turns out RR Donnelley Logistics is just some company that picks up orders from Tower's warehouse and brings them to the Post Office for shipping. I found out that the online tracking number that Tower emails you is 100% useless.

I live less than 4 hours away (by car) from the warehouse from which my order is being shipped. The shipment left 10 days ago and I'm still waiting. Next time I'm going with UPS or FedEx...

Reply to
SD

Reply to
Twan

Do you really think it's still there? Do you think I could just drive over there and pick it up if it were?

Reply to
SD

We've got a live one!

Reply to
SD

Yea, BP. Do you think THEY would pay YOU to pick it up for them? If you pay for shipping, you have a reasonable expectaton that the product will get there.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

10days?? I've been waiting 3 MONTHS!!!!!!!

Tower keeps telling me that it's not their responsibility once it is out their door.

I used USPS also... I think this "Middleman" might be the issue.

TonyF

Reply to
tonyf

Reply to
R. Robertson

I think the key here is that you used FedEx, not the R.R. Donnelley / USPS dynamic duo...

Reply to
SD

3 months??? Holy cow! Was this a domestic order? If Tower pulls the same crap with me, it will be my LAST order from them.
Reply to
SD

FedEx isn't always great either. I ordered from Tower on 12/29; they shipped it right out via FedEx; it got into town ok, then the tracking website showed it "loaded onto truck for delivery" on a Saturday morning (FedEx delivers on Saturday but not Mondays now). It stayed on the truck Saturday, Sunday, Monday, scanned onto the truck again Tuesday, scanned again on Wednesday, and finally was delivered around 6:00pm on that Wednesday.

Reply to
George Ball

I have never had any problem with shipping (by USPS or UPS) from Tower. I encouraged my buddy to try ordering from them. His order didn't show for a long time, so he checked the tracking (UPS). The shipment came from IL to a city fairly close to us here in NY, then headed west (!) until it hit CA, then headed back east! By the time it finally arrived, the ARF in the package was damaged. So I guess his current opinion of Tower and UPS is not the same as mine....

Good flying, Bob Scott

Reply to
Bob

Been following this thread for some time now...

I order from Tower about a dozen times a year, I am a member of their saver club so I never pay for shipping. I live in Milwaukee and orders shipped from Champaign, IL get to me in two days, standard shipping! Reno takes longer.

In nine years of using them I only once got damaged stuff, they said to keep it and they re-sent the order. They seem to treat me well.

Johnboy

Reply to
Dirtnap

Just wondering... Have you had any orders involving R.R. Donnelley before? I've had many successful orders shipped via UPS and USPS, but this is the first time I can recall any involvement by R.R. Donnelley and it's also the first time I've had trouble.

Reply to
SD

RR Donnelley is a freight forwarder. They presort packages for bulk shipment at reduced rates. The amount of delay you get depends on volume to your destination. They don't make money unless they can combine shipments. In my case, this usually adds about two days.

Jim - AMA 501383

SD wrote:

Reply to
James D Jones