Two Cell Lipo looks like a pillow now

I have a Thunderpower 2 cell Lipo that now looks like a puffed u
pillow. Always checked that it did not go below minimum voltage an
charged at 1C or less.
Seems to still function, but I am wary of what it may do in the nex
days or so.
Any advice ??
TI
--
indoruwe
indoruwet's Profile:

indoruwet
It won't do much. Once this starts you might as well replace them. The open circuit voltage will read 4.2/cell, but that's it. Once you apply a load they cave.
Reply to
Red Scholefield
IMMEDIATELY get it out of your house, garage or car and place it on a non-flammable surface away from anything flammable. It is now junk and a fire hazard. Look to Thunder Power's web site for disposal instructions.
Reply to
Paul McIntosh
Thanks guys, smacked it with an axe, and buried it in the yard.
As stated, not worth the possible bigger loss due to fire
-- indoruwe ----------------------------------------------------------------------- indoruwet's Profile:
this thread:
indoruwet
You are suppose to drive a silver spike through its heart! At least this is implied by some of the horror stories we have read regarding Lithium. :-0
Reply to
Red Scholefield
Not the best way to dispose of cells. Check this: NiMH: place in regular trash. - NiCd: recycle (cadmium is toxic). - LiPo: puncture plastic envelope, immerse in salt water for several hours, place in regular trash.
Reply to
Ed Forsythe
I punctured a Li-Po once, had a little glow and smoke to it. I took it in the yard and dumped ice on it. no Prob. Guess I'll get the salt water next time. mk
Reply to
Storm's Hamburgers
Oops .... Spelling mistake !! :eek: Should have been : Burned it in the yard. Made quite a mess tho ! :
-- indoruwe ----------------------------------------------------------------------- indoruwet's Profile:
this thread:
indoruwet
I get the impression that everyone is treating their LiPo packs as though they are handgrenades with the pin about to fall out. What's the deal? I'm new to these critters.
Ed Cregger
Reply to
Ed Cregger
Well if not completely discharged, they have enough enerygy to ignite, and enough organic chemistry to burn, quite explosively.
Think 'small firework'
Reply to
The Natural Philosopher
They aren't as bad as that, but they aren't as tame as other suggest. They are DIFFERENT than what you are used to (NiCds, etc). Once you learn the differences and the handling requirements, you should be fine.
Reply to
Paul McIntosh
This makes me wonder why/how anyone would sell them to people knowing full well that they could burn down a dwelling. I take it that this phenomenon isn't that common?
Ed Cregger
Reply to
Ed Cregger
I bought a couple of Li-Poly packs a while back. I'll have to read the material that came with them.
Yes, NiCads are excellent for exploding when shorted, etc. Nothing is without risk.
Ed Cregger
Reply to
Ed Cregger
just remember to remove them from the model when charging and place them on something that wont catch fire
Reply to
Funfly3
"This makes me wonder why/how anyone would sell them to people knowing full well that they could burn down a dwelling. I take it that this phenomenon isn't that common? "
If you have common sense and treat the li-po batteries with respect you probably will not have a problem. Make sure you use a Li-Po specific charger. Do not charge at more than 1C(example, if you have a 2100mah battery, charge at no more than 2.1 amps. 1320mah, charge at no more than 1.3 amps, and so on). Do not exceed the maximum continuous amp draw ratings for the battery.
Assuming you want to take your li-po flying, you need to measure the amp draw to ensure you aren't pulling too much current. The way I do it is to hook up an amp meter between the positive from the battery and the positive to the model. The ground gets connected normally. Run the model up to full throttle with the prop you intend to fly with and see where the amp draw sits after a few seconds. The amps shown in this configuration should be a worst-case scenario. If it is within the limitations of the battery you should be fine. Otherwise you need to explore options for reducing the amount of current, such as changing the propellor, or perhaps reducing the size of the pinon gear on the motor.
Chris
Reply to
Hal

Site Timeline