Plot order and splines

I have a problem where draworder is not controlling the plotted output. The problem is occuring within an XREF. I've set the draworder in the
XREF file and set VISRETAIN to 0 in the sheet in which it's attached. The problem is a profile spline that is plotting behind a grid instead of above it.
Also, is there a spline equivalent to turning on linetype generation for a polyline?
We are using ACAD200 and an HP Deskjet 1220c. I've been off ACAD for 2 years, so things that seem obvious to others in this group will be brand new to me.
Thanks for any suggestions, Valerie
The only solution I've had,, and a clumsy one.. is to take the hatch,,, or in your case the grid.. and put it into the main sheet file so it lives in the sheet file.. then use draworder to ensure it is at the back.. will watch to see if someone else has an easier solution...