Gunner's Status

I think Curly misread his book. Or he read a piece of propaganda.

It's true that most basic drug research is done in university research centers and with federal money. But it is NOT true that they develop "drugs."

What they develop is chemicals that show some promise, given further development and extensive testing. That's when Big Pharma buys in, and spends a gazillion bucks developing the chemical into something that doesn't kill an unacceptable portion of the people taking it.

The last drug I worked with had over $300 million of Sanofi-Aventis's money into it, and it still didn't get approved by the FDA. It may never be approved. Meantime, S-A is out $300 million. It was based on a drug discovered through university research with rats. Good for rats, not so good for people.

And that's the way most of it is done.

-- Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Think outside the binary choices you are being offered, there are a myriad of choices. Personally the idea of coercion, no matter how beneficial, is sufficient to stoke my resistance.

I'm aware of that.

Monopolies are invariably bad.

Not when national health care mandates extreme health treatment at end of life, irreversible brain death, or terminal/fatal disease. Wasting limited funds taken by coercion, impoverishing the nation, for 6 months of misery isn't going to obtain my support.

That's the reality, look at gunner.

Nor convince me to submit to any coercive plan.

Reply to
Curly Surmudgeon

Well, you are considerably more tolerant than I, who consider gunners constant disparaging of anyone with a different opinion, especially some ladies in this newsgroup, to be insulting. Threats of violence, murder, mayhem, and death wishes are insulting to intelligent beings even if they are nothing more than meager farts in the wind.

Why would you take offense? I seem to remember you being the target of some of his ample bile.

Reply to
Curly Surmudgeon

Hang in there Gunner. My best wishes for a speedy recovery.

-- The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

-- Bertrand Russell

Reply to
EskWIRED

I guess I just know the bedwetters.

Actually, that isn't what I meant at all.

You may actually be on something...

Reply to
almostcutmyhairtoday

Glad you didn't die, Gunner. You and I don't always see eye to eye but I respect your skill and knowledge. These groups would be a lot less interesting without that alone.

Seems to me, the regulars in these groups "getting on in years" should have a plan to notify the rest of us when something bad happens like this. I do. It's in my wallet. I've instructed my heir, namely SWMBO, to log on to the groups I frequent the most and tell anybody who cares the bad news. I hate it when somebody you've become familiar with over the years just suddenly drops out of sight with no explanation.

-Frank

Reply to
Frank Warner

Frank:

Now THERE'S an idea. Just today someone asked me what happened to Frank Carbone. Does anyone know for sure?

Reply to
BottleBob

Sadly I recently had to do that. I'd asked my gentleman friend quite some time ago if he would want me to post on misc.survivalism if something were to happen to him. He gave me the OK. It was a very hard post to make. Sue misc.survivalism

Reply to
Sue

I have a living will, pretty well laid out, as to who is to be notified,and how, Who is to get called in to inventory and dispose of my various machine tools, firearms (there are master lists by serial numbers), etc. Several close friends have first dibs on their choices of handguns, rifles,knives, reloading equipment, etc etc (beqeithed free and a fixed number to each) and so forth. "Joe" gets his choice of (1) Drilling, "Bob" gets his choice of one shotgun, "Bubba" gets his choice of one lathe, "Sally" gets her choice of one vintage camera etc etc. "Sam" will be asked to dispose of the boats, for very fair percentage, and so forth.

Ive bought way too much stuff from widows who didnt have a clue what to do with the old mans Stuff and got reamed financially by "friends". And Ive been the executor of several estates over the years, so have tried to cover as many eventualities as possible.

My living will covers DNRs etc. Im very much realist, and while an optimist...understand what the concept of "borrowed time" means.

A number of posters and lurkers here are mentioned in my will..shrug and their seconds and thirds if I survive them, down the line. Both as benificiaries and as requested executors of portions of my Stuff.

The wife, or next of kin simply has to open the book, and start contacting people.

My next of kin for the most part, has little interest in most of my gear except financially, and after the wake has been paid for...there wont be a hell of a lot of cash left to distribute. Pipers and hookers cost a lot when catering a good old fashion drunken everybody has a Really good time wake.

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Sue:

Somehow I missed that. I've been distracted with some serious health issues of my own the last few months. Anyway, please accept me belated regrets for your loss.

Jeff Mc

Reply to
Jeff Mc

Damn, it's a rare moment when I think I shouldn't be a role model for my children, but I'd sure like to attend your wake.

Reply to
hot-ham-and-cheese

The bypass operation gunner just went through is going to give him another 15 years to live. So don't hold your breath ;-)

He will heal up on his own. That's what Mother Nature does for a living: heal wounds. And then he'll be back in the saddle, with _some_ restrictions. Other than that...those few restrictions...he can go back to a *normal* Life. God willing.

Lg

Reply to
Nicholas

I just added an open invitation to all MS/AMC/RCM members to the book.

Gunner

"Not so old as to need virgins to excite him, nor old enough to have the patience to teach one."

Reply to
Gunner Asch

How is that you even have any disposable assets considering that you haven't paid off your previous hospital bill? Considering that you've run up additional charges of probably $100k+, you've got some kind of chutzpah to be talking about your toys as if you own them outright. Your will only needs a single instruction about assets: somebody named to sell anything that's left, and make sure that *all* of the proceeds make it to your creditors.

What a shock, your party plans rank ahead of paying off your health care bills. That's the exact same attitude displayed recently by bailed out financial execs.

Wayne

Reply to
wmbjkREMOVE

Thank you. Hopefully its way, way down the road.

Have you seen "The Last Lecture?"

Reply to
almostcutmyhairtoday

Glad you're still around Gunner.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day As long as you are learning, you are living When you stop learning, you start dying

Reply to
JonquilJan

Hey! Stop in more often.

Reply to
hot-ham-and-cheese

Good to hear from you. It has been a while since you've posted.

Reply to
Strabo

Long time since I've checked in. Used to get a lot of very good info before Y2K - and am still keeping up the preps 'just in case'. My disability is worsening - as it would with someone of my age. Today is my birthday - I am

  1. Never thought I would survive until this age. If I can survive this birhtday - and the over 200 inches of snow so far this winter - guess I must be doing something right.

JonquilJan

Learn something new every day As long as you are learning, you are living When you stop learning, you start dying

Reply to
JonquilJan

As you say:

"Learn something new every day As long as you are learning, you are living When you stop learning, you start dying"

alt.survival contains far less political stuff.

Reaching 70 you have exceeded your expectations. You can rest easy knowing that we are all just behind you.

Reply to
Strabo