OT: Medical Histories

To All:
    In the face of the discord of racial/ethnic bigotry, political partisanship, sexism, nationalism, religious persecution/proselytizing,
class/culture disparity, etc. etc., one of the few things that is universally felt & understood by all, is the fragility of our physical bodies (or those of our loved ones). We've all been exposed to this undeniable fact of the human condition.     I think hearing of others experiences can give us all an appreciation of what others have gone through and let's us know more of the true character of the real people behind the names on our monitors. Plus some of this information might very well help someone that may be going through (or will go through) a similar experience. And isn't helping others the whole point of this newsgroup?
Comments:
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Lately there's been some truly beautiful sunsets up here--these photos are as viewed from our front doorstep were taken just very recently:
http://www.kalamaprecision.com/sunsets /

BottleBob wrote:

    Fell out of a swing at 10 years old when doing goofy acrobatics, bent arm - it didn't break since it was too "green", they put it in a cast anyway.
    Racing a friend up a hill on dirt bikes, he was cautious dropped back, I was crazily going full bore (winning doncha know), to the top of the hill - it dropped away STEEPLY on the other side, I must have bounced down the other side for 300 feet bike going one way, me the other. Broke the little bones in the back of my eye socket. Did eye exercises for a long time - but it was never 100%.
    Rolled new '68 Mustang seven 360 degree rolls, after having it only three weeks. Scars on both sides of head - can't see them - hair currently grows there, for now. :)
    Tried to turn brain into swiss cheese by doing drugs from 60's to late 80's. Then completely stopped (after being arrested and sent to prison).
    Back went out in early 80's. Couldn't move for three weeks. Still get the occasional stiffness/pain. But it seems the older I get the better it gets. Probably THE ONLY advantage of aging for me.          Developed high blood pressure in the 90's - medication corrects most of it.
    Went to Emergency with chest pains about 3 years ago. They tested - found nothing out of the ordinary. Have had minor twinges a couple times a year but nothing like the first one.
    Passed a kidney stone a couple of years ago - man THAT was one painful experience, but no permanent injury and haven't had any more.
    Ground 1/4" of side of finger away on a disk sander almost a year ago. It grew back fine, not even a scar.
    Had a little cyst removed last month while I still had medical insurance. No complications.
    I consider myself extremely lucky that I'm not falling apart at the seams at 63 when I hear of so many people dropping like flies at a younger age.
    That's it for me - anyone else?
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Almost drowned rafting once, even had the out of body experience. Other than the almost dying part it was great....LOL.
Broke leg on Mt. Rainier (friend died in fall) took me three days to get to hospital. Break was about three inches from knee, never knew a knee could swell up so f'n huge. When they put a needle in it to relieve the pressure it was a gusher that overshot one of those kidney trays.
Had severe back pain for a number of years. Went away after being treated for an ulcer. Go figure! Had a number of doctors willing/wanting to cut me open but I wouldn't let them till they could tell me what was wrong.
Acid reflux (hereditary)
Arthritis
Tom
Tonsils at 4 years: Bill Cosby, "Ice Cream, I'm gonna get Ice Cream!!!!" I bet I ate 2 gallons of chocolate ripple before they could stop me.
Fell off my best horse at 12, landed flat on my back, no real damage, but found out I had arthritis in my shoulders.
Front teeth knocked out at 13.
Split 3rd lumbar vertibrae at 18 bull riding. Stretched out between two hundred pound weights for 6 weeks. What a way to spend the summer.
Wrecked car in '74, dislocated shoulder. Reconstructive surgery. Today, the humerous is more than 1/2 inch out of socket, can't lift arm above shoulder and it sounds like a rock crusher when there is any twisting.
The bursa on the other shoulder is gone. Sometimes pain will knock me down.
Numerous broken fingers, broken ribs, twisted ankles, knees, elbows, etc.
At 40 went from no glasses to tri-focals; astigmatism. Now I need something new, 'cause I can't see very well at any distance.
Arthritis in fingers, wrists, knees. Carpel tunnel in both wrists.
Last July, had a different pain in chest, went to hospital and within 2 hours was flown to Austin where 3 stints were applied to heart artery.* Not over weight, pulse 45-50, lower range normal blood pressure, lower range normal cholesterol (LDL and HDL). Cardiologist says obviously need to reduce cholesterol. Stress test scheduled for the 18th.
It sure is hard to get old.
* Watched a program on PBS last week. The hidden Epidemic: Heart disease in the USA." Can be watched at: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/takeonestep/heart/video-ch_01.html
Now have a number of questions for the doctor.
--
Remove "nospam" to get to me.

Alphonso wrote:

Alphonso:
    Cripes, sounds like life really put you through a cement mixer extraordinaire.     If there in not another post to this thread - your post makes the whole thread worthwhile - you make me feel like a teenager. :)
--
BottleBob
http://home.earthlink.net/~bottlbob

Yeah, and I'm not much younger than you, turned 63 two weeks ago.
--
Remove "nospam" to get to me.

Which, dollars to donuts, he won't be able to answer. It seems like arthritis is an issue in multiple areas, and from a very young age. Any idea why?
But, yo, how did you go from bustin bronco's to matchining? What state/city were you riding in?
Cowboys supposedly are among the toughest and most athletically gifted athletes. It probably is the single most dangerous sport, not nec ito fatalities, but ito of sheer toll on the body.
Reduce cholesterol w/ lower range normal ldl/hdl???
PBS has been having some good shit on lately.
--
PV'd

On Tue, 9 Dec 2008 23:40:46 +0000 (UTC), Alphonso

Had a stent installed 3 yrs ago and 5 minor blockages rotorooted. Minor angina since then. Total bill, $27,000. Still paying on it. No insurance.
3 weeks ago, walked into Bakersfield Heart Hospital for chest pain. I knew it wasnt a heart attack, but was painful.
1 shot of morphine, 1 bag of antiboiotcs, 1 bag Ringers, one Saline, ekg set, 1 chest xray. 1 shot hypertension medication. 1 IV set.
Walked out 7 hours later, with a perscription for Amoxocylin for chronic bronchitis and a recommendation I get my teeth pulled.
I got the bill yesterday for those 7 hours.
$9, 823.00
Doctors bill an additional $910.00
No insurance.
I asked for an itemized bill. They waffled then agreed. Pending.
Im going to tell em to accept $2k cash, or kiss my ass and sue me.
Ill pay the doctor. She was good. I didnt ask, but suspect she was ex military.
The rest of the place sucked.
Blood from a stone..blood from a stone. What are they gonna do..ruin my credit? Snicker
Gunner, really really pissed off.
Gunner wrote:

Few years ago I impaled my left thumb on a razor sharp tool in the lathe when pulling a part out of a tight collet. Should have just duct taped it and kept going, but it was darn deep. So go up to ER. Get sent back outside to a little temp building where they handle light stuff. Get jacked around for 3 hours waiting, finally doc sees me. One shot of Lidocain, couple gauze pads, 2 sutures. 5 minutes total. Had insurance, but due to some mistake, I got a copy of the itemized bill. $950-some buckaroos! I was livid. I'd only had to pay the deductible, but geez, they just reamed the hell out of the insurance.
No insurance anymore. If I have chest pains, well, I'm either going to live, or I'm going to die....
Jon

This billing is out of control. I'm sure my neck cost NYS (no-fault) $300,000, instead of the $30K it was proly worth. Fraud is *built-in* to the medical system.
After all, sombody's gotta pay for those Benz's in the medical parking lot.
True fact: A lot of guys have left self-employment, or even white collar jobs, to join the ranks of my blue-collar purgatory, just for the bennies. Weird....
--
PV'd

Proctologically Violated wrote:

Well, losing medical insurance was the one drawback to divorce. I'm looking to go to work for one of my customers, if'n credit frees up enough for his customers to pop loose with the half million to couple million dollars the jobs run. It will entail field work that will likely have me all over the country and even overseas, good pay, benefits. And he's fine with me keeping my shop on the side. Best of both worlds, but picking up medical insurance is the biggest issue.
Once my kids are out of school, I'm off to Australia. Being married to an Aussie, it'll be easy to get permanent residency. I will have to pay into insurance for two years, then fall under their socialized medicine, which in many respects works far better than ours. At least in the rural areas where we'll be. Being married to a clinical nurse, I'll be looked after pretty well...
Jon
On Wed, 10 Dec 2008 22:32:28 -0500, "Proctologically Violated"

Only if deemed cause service related or retired lifer.

chip
Librium
Actually I've come to the conclusion that he is a pompous jerk and also is almost completely lacking of social skills.

Hmmmmm... lacking of social skills, eh?? :)
Hey BP, you should tell your accident story, and the outcome... that's an eye-opener.
--
PV'd

is
He's been in my bozo bin for quite a while now but for the glimpses appears hasn't changed much...

Thanks but I'll pass.

Bipolar Bear wrote:

Hey! I have social skills! I'm just a bit grumpy around the edges.
But grumpy is good. It means I live in the real world. If you're not pissed off about SOMETHING, then you're just not paying attention.
KG

LOL
Bipolar Bear wrote:

Alternate Response:
Social skills? I don't need no steenking social skills!
I'm a machinist. The machines don't care whether I take a shower, brush my teeth, or smoke cheap cigars. They only care that I know that I'm doing. How many "socially skilled" people are as tolerant, or as focused on what really matters most?
KG

That would make you JB