Tool Holders

Garibaldi:

Yes, you're absolutely correct, I meant to say "... when we occasionally run out of *ER* collets...", sorry.

Heh, yeah. We've considered shrink-fit holders, but the high initial cost of the tooling & heater as well as the the time it takes to change tools has held us back.

Reply to
BottleBob

BottleBob wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net:

Did you ever see the ones that require no heat? The out side of the holder is made out of round and there is a press-like gizmo that squeezes the holder round allowing the end mill to be replaced. When you release the tension on the holder, it clamps on the end mill. No heat required and it lasts far longer than a heat shrink holder.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Murphy

Dan:

Actually, I was in the process of writing a post Sunday about that very thing, as well as hydraulic tooling and press in tool & collet types. But I ran out of time and it was starting to get complex and messy.

Reply to
BottleBob

BottleBob wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net:

I just saw them for the first time at an open house that one of our dealers held. They had an aluminum demo running in a VMC. A wing spar IIRC. One of the cutting tool guys brought in a variable pitch end mill designed for high speed milling in aluminum, and another of the tooling guys donated the use of one of those end mill holders. The net result was that on the second day of the open house they had knocked the cycle time down by half. They also filled all of the chip barrels and every empty box that could hold aluminum chips. They were using flood coolant and had to keep adding to it all day. I'm wondering if one of those mist set-ups would work better for that type of cutting.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Murphy

Hey Dan,

I'm glad you asked. That was to be part two of my research and you saved me the trouble of starting the discussion.

Reply to
garibaldi

garibaldi wrote in news:KeuXd.7392$DW.7037 @newssvr17.news.prodigy.com:

One of our dealers sells Micron and Fidia used to be in our building here. Both of those machines use them as "standard" for high speed milling. But they are cutting molds and the like out of tool steel. They use some kind of special oil as well. IIRC, it was fairly expensive. Smelled like vegetable oil to me. Could be people are paying big bucks for corn oil. I don't know if aluminum would weld up in the flutes at those speeds using mist. Be interesting to hear from someone doing high speed milling in aluminum with mist lube.

Dan

Reply to
Dan Murphy

I've heard of the vegetable oil base. I don't know who makes it. I wouldn't mind paying a little more if it worked and it wasn't as much of a detriment to your health.

Reply to
garibaldi

I've been using "Acculube" for years. Their products are non-toxic and environmentally friendly. Works mint on steels from 12L14 to RC 60/62 D2 and everything in between. It's spendy, but worth every penny. Have never cut aluminum in the high speed mills, so can't comment on that. I do keep a can of "PAM" handy in case the Acculube runs low. :-)

Nocturnal Dragon

Between that and the seedless tangerine you should be safe I suppose. Anyone tried garlic? Olive oil?

Reply to
Cliff

Don't knock it until you try it. Vegatable oil is THE preferred lube for hard cutting, and PAM works fairly good when you're in a pinch.

Reply to
Nocturnal Dragon

Thought we were starting a cooking class or ..... .

Reply to
Cliff
[PAM]

If you're going to be a wise ass, so am I....

blkdrgn@thor> man pam ============================================================================ PAM(3) FreeBSD Library Functions Manual PAM(3)

NAME pam_acct_mgmt, pam_authenticate, pam_chauthtok, pam_close_session, pam_end, pam_get_data, pam_get_item, pam_get_user, pam_getenv, pam_getenvlist, pam_open_session, pam_putenv, pam_set_data, pam_set_item, pam_setcred, pam_start, pam_strerror -- Pluggable Authentication Modules Library

LIBRARY Pluggable Authentication Module Library (libpam, -lpam)

SYNOPSIS

[...]

DESCRIPTION The Pluggable Authentication Modules (PAM) library abstracts a number of common authentication-related operations and provides a framework for dynamically loaded modules that implement these operations in various ways.

[...]

STANDARDS X/Open Single Sign-On Service (XSSO) - Pluggable Authentication Modules, June 1997.

AUTHORS The OpenPAM library and this manual page were developed for the FreeBSD Project by ThinkSec AS and Network Associates Laboratories, the Security Research Division of Network Associates, Inc. under DARPA/SPAWAR con- tract N66001-01-C-8035 (``CBOSS''), as part of the DARPA CHATS research program.

FreeBSD 5.3 February 10, 2004 FreeBSD 5.3 ============================================================================

Reply to
Nocturnal Dragon

Dan:

Here is a site that shows how the "Tribos" toolholders work.

The clamping bore is deformed mechanically with a hydraulic setup unit, allowing the tool cutter to be inserted. When the pressure is released, the toolholder clamps onto the shank with some of the highest clamping forces in the industry. The triangular cross-section automatically centers the cutter shank?whether it is a mill, a drill, a reamer or a threading tap.

The symmetrical, one piece design of the Tribos R and S versions offers optimal balancing. We have verified its 3-microns TIR at spindle speeds over 20,000 rpm. The extremely low TIR means low vibration. Vibration and excess heat are the biggest detriment to tool life. The Tribos system is completely self-contained and has no moving parts. Periodic maintenance is not required. No degradation of toolholder?s mechanical properties is caused by changing tools as with the severe thermal cycling of induction-based heat-shrink systems. Tribos toolholders are through-hardened to Rockwell C 52-54, assuring optimal long term stability. =======================================================

Here is another type of toolholding technology from REGO-FIX Tool Corp..

The powRgrip system utilizes a tool holder, collet, and a hydraulic bench top press to generate clamping forces that often are higher than can be achieved with shrink-fit systems for most size tools. The tool, such as a drill bit or end mill, is inserted into the tapered collet. When the collet is placed in the holder, the collet sits in the holder with a gap between the collet shoulder and holder. This gap is the interference fit. The press is used to push the collet through this interference with six tons of force making the tool holder expand a slight amount and using the material?s elasticity to clamp back on the tool. ========================================================

A hydraulic toolholder, picture and explanation.

September 16, 2004 07:51 - TENDO clamps different types of cutting tools with cylindrical shanks directly in toolholder without using intermediate sleeves. Clamping is done by steel sleeve surrounded by hydraulic fluid, and cutting tools with different shanks are held with concentricity of less than 0.002 mm. Hydraulic, completely closed system absorbs vibrations inherent in cutting or grinding processes, resulting in repeatability of less than 0.00012 in. ==========================================================

-- BottleBob

BottleBob

Bob,

Can you further define "vibration" and how it applies here ???

Reply to
PrecisionMachinisT

BottleBob wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net:

Thanks, CRS kicked in. I wanted to provide a link but...

Dan

Reply to
Dan Murphy