Liability & responsibility of electrician?

You're a semantical twit.

It was obvious to me what he was referring to.

Distribution feeds.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

CE? I am surprised that they did not want it to read "95 - 265 VAC"

That is what most CE equipment works at.

It makes a product that barely works in Japan's 90V realm, and then only on some products.

I had to do a redesign to insure that a production printer (supply)would be marketable/functional in Japanese geographical/voltage markets.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

Im not. Nor am I licensed. Yet I do the electrical work for many clients. And my business cards indicate that Im neither.

It has to do with how good you are, and that they know it.

Gunner Asch

Then you have been in few CNC shops west of the Mississippie.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Note: That was a slash, not a dash. This was not a "universal input", it was a dual-voltage device, with a 2:1 switchable primary. I was surprised that they didn't want 110/220 or 120/240 or 115/230. Nope, they insisted on 110/240. Go figure.

Reply to
rangerssuck

Do you even know how old the machine is? Doh!

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

Technically it should be 120/240, I think the examiner wasn?t awfully intelligent. Was this a UL CB ?

Cheers

Reply to
Martin Riddle

Does your work get inspected? (no, I do not mean by you, idiot)

You may be a professional something, but 'professional electrician' will not be the title.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

I guarantee it doesn't match yours.

You seem to think that since you understand the rules of making a connection that you understand electrical power.

I doubt seriously that you have such a grasp of the industry.

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

You have a medical device that uses a linear front end?

Reply to
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

That is not always the case. I'm a little rusty when it comes to 3 phase distribution, but I've dealt with some things like this in a machine shop friends of mine own. The voltage depends on the service to the building. Some shops have 208V and some have 240V, and we've had to reconfigure machines from time to time that were purchased from other locations, or run some off buck/boost transformers if they were not configurable. Perhaps someone more knowledgeable can fill in the details.

It's good practice of course to measure the voltage and double check the configuration of the particular machine prior to applying power.

$4K seems pretty high though, did anyone look into repairing the damaged board?

Reply to
James Sweet

Oh of course it does. And passed every time for the past 12 yrs.

Nor have I ever made that claim.

So am I just a "handyman"?

Gunner

Gunner Asch

Odd...so Im simply a wire hooker-upper? And my CNC machine repair is simply making connections? No understanding of the trade?

Why...because Im not a Union Member?

Chuckle...I charge MORE than most Union Members do. And I get the work.

I suggest you review what you wrote..and why you wrote it.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

I rented a house for a while that had unusually high line voltage. It varied from around 122V to 125V depending on the time of day. If it was much higher than that, I'd be concerned, but anything from 115V to 125V is pretty normal.

A friend of mine over in the UK is near the end of a long run from the transformer that powers his street. His voltage varies considerably, from as low as 220V to nearly 250V.

Reply to
James Sweet

Oh sure, $10k bill.

$1.0 to look at it, $9999 to know what to look at..

Please people, this simply looks like some one trying to collect on a repair bill at some one else's expense.

I think we have enough lawyers already hard at work at destroying peoples life's.

I feel sorry for the Electrician.

Reply to
Jamie

Oddly enough, that's exactly what I've measured (give or take a few tenths) in the MSOE power lab (which is equipped with 208V 3 phase), and very nearly the same at my own bench at home.

Tim

Reply to
Tim Williams

Well obviously you don't know much about the standards of electrical codes, labeling and so on. 245V is very normal..

I would be a little more worried about voltages running on the low side in shops like that.

Reply to
Jamie

CNC electronics cost about 4-8 times as much to fix as normal electronics. Shrug..its called :"the going rate" unfortunately.

Gunner

Gunner Asch

And what is your definition of a line cord?

You've never seen 3 Wire with ground, plugs connected to cords on electrical equipment?

Reply to
Jamie

No, actually, the equipment most likely had cords on it that already had proper plugs that were properly labeled on the twist locks them self's..

You see, these little details are not coming to light here, did the electrician hard wire the CNC to the service or did he simply supply a compatible source for the mating plug on the cord attached to the CNC ?

I don't know about a lot of other shops how ever, where we work, all of our machine shop equipment have twist lock plugs with cords on them and those that know anything about this, know that they can only be inserted in the proper receptacle.

In short, different service voltages have specified keyed plugs. If the CNC already had a plug connected to it, then the data required by the electrician is on the plug.. and that is as far as the electrician needs to go with that.

If an incorrect plug is in use that does not match the voltage of the equipment but may have been used in an area where voltage was upgraded and receptacles were not changed, then it's the fault of the shop owner for not spending the cash to correct that.

Reply to
Jamie