Liability & responsibility of electrician?

On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 07:34:08 -0700 (PDT), snipped-for-privacy@uakron.edu wrote:

CNC machines are NOT 'house electrician' level work.
Where did you get the idea that this was a 'house installation'?

You're nuts. Maybe at the end of a 100 yard long run. Maybe.
There is no reason, however, for the entire feed to a building to sag that far between loaded and unloaded.
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt wrote:

it's most likely the feed to the building is 480/460 and a transformer is being used. I don't know to many electric companies that will supply 240 3 phase any more.
I'd be willing to bet that the transformer came along with the move and that being the case, yes, it can sag abit when other equipment get going because I can't picture a huge xformer in use here.
On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 20:30:37 -0400, Jamie

More guess as you go bullshit.

You're an idiot. That is like saying that if you hire an electrician to run 245Volts to your 120 volt microwave oven, he'll do it, and will not be at fault for doing something against the rules.
High power devices should never, repeat NEVER be hooked up merely "to the disconnect". It should ALWAYS be examined for its POWER panel connections to insure against improper attachment. PERIOD!
Goddamned cross posting retards! < reference to the OP.
On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 17:29:04 +0000 (UTC), "Geoffrey S. Mendelson"

You're a semantical twit.
It was obvious to me what he was referring to.
Distribution feeds.
On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 11:31:43 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck

CE? I am surprised that they did not want it to read "95 - 265 VAC"
That is what most CE equipment works at.
It makes a product that barely works in Japan's 90V realm, and then only on some products.
I had to do a redesign to insure that a production printer (supply)would be marketable/functional in Japanese geographical/voltage markets.
On Jul 5, 2:50pm, StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

Note: That was a slash, not a dash. This was not a "universal input", it was a dual-voltage device, with a 2:1 switchable primary. I was surprised that they didn't want 110/220 or 120/240 or 115/230. Nope, they insisted on 110/240. Go figure.

Technically it should be 120/240, I think the examiner wasnt awfully intelligent. Was this a UL CB ?
Cheers

You'd think so, wouldn't you.

This was an outfit from Canada that specialized in CE approvals.

On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 14:58:42 -0700 (PDT), rangerssuck

You have a medical device that uses a linear front end?
On Jul 5, 6:30pm, StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

yes.
message wrote:

its probably classified as Professional Medical Electrical Equipment. If its > 16A or >1KW ( 61000-3-2) then it is exempt from the Harmonic tests. So there is no need to put a PFC in there. But it looks like they are gradually tightening this part of 60601. I think if there is a standby mode then that is tested to meet Harmonics, which is easy with a little PFC switcher.
Cheers

Do you even know how old the machine is? Doh!
On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 13:44:18 -0700, Gunner Asch

I guarantee it doesn't match yours.
You seem to think that since you understand the rules of making a connection that you understand electrical power.
I doubt seriously that you have such a grasp of the industry.
On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 15:26:07 -0700, StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

Odd...so Im simply a wire hooker-upper? And my CNC machine repair is simply making connections? No understanding of the trade?

Why...because Im not a Union Member?
Chuckle...I charge MORE than most Union Members do. And I get the work.
I suggest you review what you wrote..and why you wrote it.
<VBG>
Gunner

Oddly enough, that's exactly what I've measured (give or take a few tenths) in the MSOE power lab (which is equipped with 208V 3 phase), and very nearly the same at my own bench at home.
Tim
--
Deep Friar: a very philosophical monk.
On Sun, 5 Jul 2009 18:11:46 -0500, "Tim Williams"

Your apparent conflation of single phase systems and 3 phase systems only serves to confuse outsiders.
On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 15:16:00 -0700, Gunner Asch

You can get a license without being in the union.
Excuses do not make you qualified. Especially if the tests you took were way back in '74.
On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 22:48:41 -0700, StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

Of course I can. And did.

Where did you get that date from? Was that the year you were spawned?
I put my C7-C10 on "Hold" with the California BCA in 1998. I think its expired now..as I recall, it only had a 10 yr life on hold.
Shrug..another weekend at a Contractors Fast Learn and take the test on Monday. Not a big deal. Except the fees and costs. Which means Ill simply continue on as a CNC tech who occasionally does electrical work, until the economy turns around. Of course..I may be near retirement age by that time...assuming the US doesnt melt down totally.
Shrug
Gunner