Liability & responsibility of electrician?

To be more specific: hyphen, hyphen, space, newline.
On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 20:12:13 -0400, Jamie

Not 5kW machinery, no. D'oh!
On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 01:26:34 -0700, StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

Then you are a simple minded (already show us that) buffoon who probably is the mail boy in a lawyers office.
Shrug...you are among machinests and machine workers son..and you honestly look like an utter twit when you get your snit on.
Gunner
On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 03:55:55 -0700, Gunner Asch

I knew what a 10 thousandth inch tolerance was before I was 7 years old, way back in '67. Likely years before you did, fuckhead.
I think I have more on the ball than your machinIsts (learn to spell, retard) and your machine workers do.

Damned shame someone doesn't pay you for your thoughts. Reminds me of what I like to say about young people that know it all-----if you could buy them for what they're worth, and sell them for what they *think* they're worth, you'd achieve instant wealth.
You think you have more on the ball.
I'm sure you don't have.
Smart people can converse without using their entire vocabulary, as you've just done. I've known some that can actually put together a string of words without vulgarity-----a task that seems to evade you.
You want readers to think of you as something more than a loser?
Quit acting like one.
Harold
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt wrote:

Oh really ? Lets see, if that was single phase it would be ~20 amps at 240. big deal. 3 phase, 20 / sqrt(3) = ~ 12 amps on the legs.
these are just off the top of my head still! Big deal!.
You're still in the dark.
On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 10:12:04 -0700, StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

While a router is not as glamorous as a lathe or mill, I do believe they are still considered a machine. Controlled via CNC makes them <gasp> a CNC machine...
And yes, many of them have cords with plugs. Need pictures?
--
William

On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 20:26:17 -0400, William Bagwell

A little printer that cuts out stickers is technically a "CNC Machine" as well.
The term usually refers to much larger load devices, not your Sears sign router. Also, a good hint was that he had to have wiring ran for it.
On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 01:29:53 -0700, StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

It would depend.

On Mon, 06 Jul 2009 03:56:26 -0700, Gunner Asch

Absolutely not, you retarded fuck.
It has a micro-controller that translates the data on your computer to cut strokes. That IS the very definition of CNC. You are just so retarded that you think the term has only one meaning.
Sorry, but even though someone did not have to program each move, the computer does program each move, and that is done numerically.
You lose, yet again.
Nico Coesel wrote:

Well then, the people you know aren't really electricians.
There's a lot more to the trade than stapling some Romex into a residence.
(Nico Coesel) wrote:

Perhaps you don't work with many electricians. I work with electricians on a daily basis, and the large majority of them can run the wire to the machine, outlet, light fixture, what ever, but few of them have the ability to make sure it is 100% correct for the equipment powered. I have seen 480 volts wired to 208, and the reverse, single phase wired to 3 phase equipment, wrong rotation, (that had been verified correct by the electrician!), electricians reversing rotation in the equipment so some motors are correct, and some are reversed, you name it! That is where I come in, to double check phasing, verify incoming voltage is correct for the equipment, and to ensure the voltage taps in the equipment is set properly. Unless discussed before hand I would not assume the electrician checked to make sure the equipment was set up for the incoming power. Seems like the owners responsibility to me! Greg

Which makes ALL of them a mere order taker, point to point wireman.
This was not such an installation. If new runs had to be installed, then the installer, if only a mere electrician, is already in over his head if he doesn't know about the equipment to be fed power to.
StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt wrote:

No, actually, the equipment most likely had cords on it that already had proper plugs that were properly labeled on the twist locks them self's..
You see, these little details are not coming to light here, did the electrician hard wire the CNC to the service or did he simply supply a compatible source for the mating plug on the cord attached to the CNC ?
I don't know about a lot of other shops how ever, where we work, all of our machine shop equipment have twist lock plugs with cords on them and those that know anything about this, know that they can only be inserted in the proper receptacle.
In short, different service voltages have specified keyed plugs. If the CNC already had a plug connected to it, then the data required by the electrician is on the plug.. and that is as far as the electrician needs to go with that.
If an incorrect plug is in use that does not match the voltage of the equipment but may have been used in an area where voltage was upgraded and receptacles were not changed, then it's the fault of the shop owner for not spending the cash to correct that.
On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 05:15:13 -0700, StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

Im not. Nor am I licensed. Yet I do the electrical work for many clients. And my business cards indicate that Im neither.
It has to do with how good you are, and that they know it.

On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 13:41:29 -0700, Gunner Asch

Does your work get inspected? (no, I do not mean by you, idiot)
You may be a professional something, but 'professional electrician' will not be the title.
On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 15:23:54 -0700, StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt

Oh of course it does. And passed every time for the past 12 yrs.

Nor have I ever made that claim.
So am I just a "handyman"?
Gunner
or about Sun, 05 Jul 2009 13:41:29 -0700 did write/type or cause to appear in rec.crafts.metalworking the following:

    Electricity is like water: if it 'flows' in, it has to 'flow' out. Unlike water, though, it will take short cuts "out of the pipe".

That it always has. Even if you have the blessing of the Treasury Wizards.
tschus pyotr - pyotr filipivich We will drink no whiskey before its nine. It's eight fifty eight. Close enough!
Nico Coesel wrote:

Oh sure, $10k bill.
$1.0 to look at it, $9999 to know what to look at..
Please people, this simply looks like some one trying to collect on a repair bill at some one else's expense.
I think we have enough lawyers already hard at work at destroying peoples life's.
I feel sorry for the Electrician.
On Sun, 05 Jul 2009 13:26:35 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@milmac.com (Doug Miller) wrote:

If it were wired to an outlet, I would agree.
A hard wired machine power run, however, should also include insuring that the machine you are hooking up is at least set properly for the voltage you are going to be bringing live on it. As you will have the panel for it open, you should make yourself aware of any voltage taps, so that you don't hook up say a 5% under voltage tap to a 5% or more overvoltage feed.
Any electrician that is a mere, dumb, brain dead wire terminator should be looking toward an industry where his mistakes have less of a catastrophic downside. If you do not take the time to at least examine what you are hooking up, you have no business in the industry.