UK international phonetic alphabet

Do we adjust our clocks to Zebra time now then?

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Quite!

Reply to
From the shack of G1LVN

I would suggest that hearing is connected with meaning.

If I say "W for wardle", you might hear wardle correctly but need to stop and ask me if I meant "wardle" as it is not a word you have heard of before.

Reply to
Lem

seems pretty unlikely, as Mandela's South Africa has a province called KwaZuluNatal replacing Natal.

Phil

Reply to
PhilT

"The personal here would be Mike. I spell, Mike .... Er, I spell ....."

73 de Wlat
Reply to
Walt Davidson

was that QRM i just heard :)

Reply to
TimPerry

How about

Z = Zombie I=eejit (Idiot) H I'm still thinking about that one ( suggestions welcome ) .

DieSea

Reply to
DieSea

Not to anyone who remembers the pre-1950 (British-only?) version, and who had to unlearn 'Able, Baker, Charlie, Dog, Easy, Fox, ...'

You're free, of course, to use whatever you like in private between consenting adults, but 'improving' a long-accepted international standard of some importance to life-critical aeronautical/maritime communications is not something on which to lightly embark.

Reply to
Peter Duck

You do not have to know what the word means, you only have to know what letter the word starts with; hence the "standard NATO/international phonetic alphabet" is used to assist clarity between people who are trained to use it, it is not intended for use by people who are untrained and unfamiliar with the words (vodka = V not W (wodka in its home).

P.S. I also subscribe to sci.physics

Reply to
Prometheus

Golf

Zulu

It's no trouble at all - and who won the war anyway? It's Golf and Zulu thru and thru! :-)

Reply to
Colin Forrester

'Clucking Bell'

Reply to
!

Your posited Latino or Asian may not picture an English gentleman by the name of Michael - more likely a microphone.

I don't think the rest of the NATO International & Aviation phonetic alphabet would cause him any problems either - it is after all a long-established *international* alphabet. Good for the UK, or anywhere else on Earth. Klingons, though - could be a problem there...

- - Martin

Reply to
GM6TRS

"The personal" ?? Are we on CB now then..?! I have a name, I don't have "a" personal, although I have a lot of things that are personal..!

BTW who's this "Wlat" bloke..?

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

Reply to
Ivor Jones

Neither, GMT..!

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

Inaccurate.

Reply to
Jim

| > > Do we adjust our clocks to Zebra time now then? | > >

| > > Owain | > Nah... UTC. | | Neither, GMT..!

I'm on summer time, GMT +1.

Androcles.

| Ivor | |

Reply to
Hexenmeister

I've never been in the armed forces, am clean shaven and use the phonic alphabet to ensure people (often in the US or Asia) are able to correctly understand my meaning

It's not an alphabet for use between UK "natives" - it's meant to ne, and is, an international alphabet

No, "Mother" may be misheard as "other"

I would suggest that people don't worry about trademarks, but are more concerned with clarity and comprenension - hence Tommy may be misheard as Johnny

I despair

Reply to
Peter
[snip]