UK international phonetic alphabet

One that's not quite perfect:

Aye Bdellium Czar Djin Eye Floyd Gnome Hour I Javier Knot Llama Mnemonic Ngwee Oedipal Pneumonia Quay Rwanda Sense Tsar Umlaut Veldt Write Xavier Yttrium Zeitgeist

Reply to
Pete Schult

UTC is more precise, as it has leap seconds. :-) Admittedly, I don't know how much that screws up astronomical predictions.

Reply to
The Ghost In The Machine

Spot on Peter. This was all sorted out after much discussion around the world in the 1950's.

Reply to
M0WWS

My PC isn't it runs the log and turns on the gateway as well as running the activity plots on:

They all need UTC

(screw's up Usenet big time though)

Reply to
M0WWS

Sorry, I can't help it..! I'm a Londoner by birth and I was always rather fond of Greenwich..!

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

'Grotbags' on 'The Pink Windmill' was a Green Witch... don't tell me you were fond of her too !! ;o)

Graham (Only knows this because of his two younger daughters)

Reply to
The Magnum

I did some consulting in a large call centre once and one of the training rooms was booked out to the Virgin (as in trains and airways etc.) team for new recruits. The phonetic alphabet was plastered on all the walls - can't remember it all, but it started...

A - Alpha B - Branson etc.

I kid you not!

Reply to
linker3000

that guy needs an island to keep his ego in...er hang on he has one!

Reply to
M0WWS

Shirly you mean "Golf"?

Mike

Reply to
Mike Causer

I've never heard of either of them, so I can safely say no..! But then I was always good at spelling..!

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

Congratulations....

Graham

Reply to
The Magnum

No need to apologise. UTC and GMT are the same thing. UTC is the official name but GMT is still sometimes used in place of UTC within the UK.

Because GMT can have several meanings, however, its use is not recommended in technical contexts.

Martin Hogbin

Martin Hogbin

Reply to
Martin Hogbin

In article , From the shack of G1LVN writes

ZCZC

Please stop STOP This is making me SQuiRM STOP

ENDS

NNNN Philip Partridge

Reply to
Phil Partridge

Presumably 'astronomically', but only to a very small degree! Philip Partridge

Reply to
Phil Partridge

ISTR, many years ago, having a confusion problem with BST too.

That's Bering Straits Time...

Reply to
Bob Eager
[snip]

Actually, I am well aware that GMT and UTC aren't *quite* the same thing, I was being facetious as usual..!

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

[snip]

Might bugger up yer average starship navigation though.

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones
[SNIP]

RYRYRYRYRYRYRYRYRYRYRYRYRYRYRYRYRYRYRYRYRYRY CQ CQ CQ CQ CQ DE G6URP G6URP G6URP CQ CQ CQ CQ CQ DE G6URP G6URP G6URP PSE KKK

Reply to
Ivor Jones

No, forget it, doesn't quite have the same "feel" as my old Creed 444..!

Ivor

Reply to
Ivor Jones

Mission accomplished. Androcles