I'm Stuck: Auto Lock Problem (With URL for Pics!)

Thanks Ed. As soon as I am able to extract the key, I will try my back-up keys in the ignition cylinder. Then I will probably first try getting it cut from code to see if that will solve the problem. Otherwise, it may be just that I need another cylinder. or a combination of both!

Reply to
Julie P.

If the wheel does not lock then it may well be a problem with the auto trans interlock. It sounds like the lock is not really returning all the way to the lock position.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

That wouldn't explain the key being trapped in the lock.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere

ok, with THIS bit of trivia... is this a tilt wheel? there is in them a piece that can break, right below the lock mechanism, on the opposite side, that can cause this situation.. its a 90 minute job to replace, too has nothing to do with the lock cylinder, BTW.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

Thanks! I actually am hoping now this is the problem. I do not know if this is relevant, but the ring around the actual lock cylinder (where the "on", "lock", etc. markings would normally be) also turns when I turn the key to start the car. In fact, with the key in the ignition, I can start the car by simply turning this exterior ring. Not sure if this is the way it is supposed to work though, since I never looked until I had a problem.

Regarding the adjustment of the interlock, there is a series of procedures I'm supposed to go through to adjust it, according to Haynes. I will do this, but probably not today as the temperature is supposed to reach the

90's! I will try to do it in the morning tomorrow.

And another thing that I just though of is that the "P", "R", "N", "D", etc. marking do not line up perfectly correct with the actual position of the shift stick. This has been going on for a number fo years now, but without the key problem until more recently. I once tried vacuuming inside the center console, and cracked part of the plastic housing, which I think might have caused this misalignment.

Reply to
Julie P.

should NOT have... I have to wonder tho if someone has had the tranny out of this.. for whatever reason, and the adjustment was 'borderline'.. I see a lot of the indicators being 'out of adjustment, so thats not much of a concern..

try something.. grab the steering column JUST BELOW the lock housing part, there is another 'fat part' there, maybe-depending on the actual column, and see if you can 'twist this just a bit.. another thing, is the steering wheel LOOSE? meaning you grab it at 3 and 9 oclock, and can wiggle it?

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

actually, no. although I wish you were right. :)

Reply to
Julie P.

well, the engine was out one time, which I suppose would necessitate taking out the tranny. But I seem to recall that some of those problems were occurring before this happened.

I will definitely try this, once I get the cover and steering wheel off. I've been actually kind of lazy in finishing this job up, due in part to the weather and being busy, but I plan to do this in the next few days. :)

no, the steering wheel is pretty tight.

Reply to
Julie P.

No. It would be alot easier to just leave it in.

Reply to
Putyourspamhere