Kia rear hatch lock

I recently bought a 99 kia sportage. The key for my ign. & dr will not turn the hatch lock, It will insert but will not turn.The previous owner said it stopped working last year and he never had it replaced or repaired. I'd like to use the same key for all the locks so I dropped the lock and key off at my local locksmith.When I went to pick it up I was told sorry we cant do foreign locks. We can cut a key for it but we cant make the original key work??? This company has been in town about 35 years.I don't believe it cant be done, I'm guessing it wasn't as easy as they thought. Is it true it cant be done?

Thanx, Philip

Reply to
Phil McRakin

3 possibilities...
  1. in MY AREA... Whats a KIA? never seen one, probably never will... if they are NOT a common car in your area, the locksmith 'might' think, why tie up -2 HUNDRED in keying kits and other parts that I will never use...so he has not got the sundry parts to fix same

  1. the lock might NOT be 'fixable' either due to the design OR its so corroded up, that you just literally need a new one.

  2. got a dealer near?

call the dealer, ask about an UNCODED lock for your car, and ANYONE around that can key the lock up to YOUR key. IF they tell you a name, call them, and see what THEY say.

--Shiva--

Reply to
--Shiva--

This is the problem:

"sorry we cant do foreign locks. "

Hit the yellow pages and try other locksmiths. It can be done.

Reply to
Roger Shoaf