Another tool ID needed XXII

That's my take on it. The only thing that makes me wonder is the fact that the short leg is a little long to me.

Wayne Cook Shamrock, TX

Wayne Cook

It looks as though it could be used for that purpose, depending on the thickness of it.

How about lipstick applicator?

Is it on a pedestal, or is that some form of checkered tile? I could picture it being used to expand the end of some tubing, but I would expect some way to extract it.

It could also perhaps be simply a demo of the capabilities of a CNC lathe, or a manual lathe operator's skill.

[ ... ]

Perhaps a lid lifter for soda and beer bottles? Perhaps designed to do less damage to the lids than most openers do.

192) For carding wool, perhaps?

190) Looks like part of the setup on a metal planer or shaper to be set at an angle between the table and the workpiece to help it resist the thrust of the tool? The diamond-engraved end would rest against the workpiece, and the hex shank would have internal threads, so a jackscrew could be extended between it and some hard point mounted on the table?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

It was always referred to as "caulking" when I did it (probably the most horrible job I've ever done that didn't involve animal by-products), but you're right, strictly speaking it would be beading rather than caulking.

Does anyone still caulk boilers ? Can you even do it, if they're in steel plates rather than iron ?

Reply to
Andy Dingley

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 20:57:34 GMT, "R.H." calmly ranted:

The woodruff key remover was a SWAG.

That was on purpose, too.

Yes, it was.

I'll have to wait for all the answers.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Mon, 15 Nov 2004 20:59:46 GMT, "R.H." calmly ranted:

-snip-

I was going to say that 193 was a brand for the nice li'l Messican tire tread sandals we used to buy in Ensenada. They took old rubber and made 'em look like tires. ;)

Reply to
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 05:52:45 GMT, Gunner calmly ranted:

That's them, and that's a "keeper" page.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

I thought I replied to this yesterday but I don't see my post so I'll answer again.

It's not a holder for pencil lead, nor for erasers. It's not for holding anything, but has a completely different function.

Reply to
R.H.

"> Is it on a pedestal, or is that some form of checkered tile? I

It's on a checkered cloth, and it's used on boilers but I'm not sure how.

Yes, it's a bottle opener.

This item isn't for wool.

I think this one is a lapping tool.

Reply to
R.H.
192 could also be called a Chocolate fork used by confectioners to break up block chocolate to smaller pieces so it melts evenly.

ShB

DanG wrote:

Reply to
Shirley Bolman

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 01:15:17 GMT, Gunner calmly ranted:

That reminds me to update my bug-out bag and stock up some more freeze-drieds.

  • OPERA: A Latin word * Wondrous Website Design
  • meaning * Save your Heirloom Photos
  • "death by music" *
Larry Jaques

On Tue, 16 Nov 2004 22:25:48 GMT, "R.H." calmly ranted:

Ah, it's a teeny tiny cookie cutter! Or a wad cutter for veeeery small caliber fairy weapons.

  • OPERA: A Latin word * Wondrous Website Design
  • meaning * Save your Heirloom Photos
  • "death by music" *
Larry Jaques

Survivalist tip-'o-the-day: A road-killed possum should never be passed up, as they have many uses. If they're dry enough, you can wear one for a hat. Hang them on the line to dry and they'll keep for a year or so. Five or six tails, knotted together, make a strong pants belt that will stand up to a lot of rough dumpster-diving.

They reconstitute well if you just add water. If they're too disgusting to eat, you can always use them to draw flies, which are high in protein and can be carried in your pocket for snacks.

Here's a good candidate for your possibles bag:

"Surviving isn't hard. Figuring out why you want to survive is hard." -- Anon.

Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

I'll bow to the voice of experience. It sounds like something you'd have to consult a French cookbook for.

I shudder to think of the race of humans that will be bred of the survivors...a tribe of maggot-eating, dumpster-diving possum-jerkers who pla ce a new set of Chevrolet kitchenware at the top of their Christmas list.

Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

Maggots is such an ugly word. Larvae is so much nicer.

The flys are full of chitin, way too crunchy.

During the civil war, the most frequent complaint about the food was that the crackers were full of maggots - actually grain beetle larvae. Even today there is some minimal amount of animal matter that is permitted by FDA regulation in grain products. Folks are already eating maggots, they just don't know it.

As they said in a famous movie, "what's for dinner? A *grub*!"

Jim

Reply to
jim rozen

You're getting close, it is a type of cutter.

Reply to
R.H.

I missed the staff meeting but the minutes show Gunner wrote back on Wed, 17 Nov 2004 16:14:37 GMT in rec.crafts.metalworking :

Bunch o' years ago, I took my SO to Mom's for thanksgiving. Friday, I was under the weather, but the ladies wanted to go shopping. I said "Go, have fun, the Friday after Thanksgiving sales are no place for amateurs." They did, and did, and she got a very nice winter coat.

I may be crazy, but I not always stupid.

tschus pyotr

Reply to
pyotr filipivich

On Wed, 17 Nov 2004 14:38:05 GMT, "Ed Huntress" calmly ranted:

Yum!

Ayup, you'd never lose a yellow-striped, reflective possibles bag.

That has a ring of truth to it. I the machines play our favorite, the Global Nuclear War game, I wanna take my marbles and go home.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Being that #190 is from a Gage company, I thought it might be a gage to determine mesh size of screens.

Reply to
Richard
195 An air valve, as in a tire stem. 197 Single edge razor blade 189 Metering valve (as in carburetor) 190 Screen mesh gage
Reply to
Richard

Yes

Correct.