Ebay Hacked Again

If you have an Ebay or Paypal account you might want to change your passwords, some unknown hacker has found a back door into ebay and your personal information may be at risk.

Best Regards Tom.

Reply to
azotic

I think that he (or someone like him) actually stole my ebay password a few months ago.

I received a legitimate email from ebay and was required to change my process. And no, it was not a phish.

I now think that they had a massive break in.

Ignoramus9377

ditto, a few months back. I almost deleted the Ebay email at first because at first glance it had all the hallmarks of a phishing one, the only thing that marked it out as being different was the distinct lack of html, most of it was in plain text with a couple of html links.

Reply to
Mike

Yep. Plus, it instructed me to go to ebay.com instead of visiting some crafted HTML. I am gladt hat I was not alone.

I actually know of a simple way to prevent phishing of one's ebay password. Very simple and elegant. All that is needed is to make the browser require that passwords for selected sites (such as ebay and paypal or ay other site designated by user) cannot be entered anywhere else.

Ignoramus9377

If anyone but you had written this, I'd think it was ignorance and/or bullshit speaking. I use a strong passwd for eBay, different from all my others, and have seen no problems. What happened? email is fine if you prefer.

Dave Hinz

Reply to
Dave Hinz

USENET is OK. I received an email from eBay. Looked at all headers, it really was from eBay. It was in plain text. No HTML. (I use a plain text tty based mail reader mutt).

It said that possibly my password was compromised.

It told me to go to ebay.com, my ebay, click this and that and to change my password -- I do not remember the details. I never clicked on any links in that email.

It happened to one of my accounts (selling account), and after a month or so, to my buying account.

I never react to any phishes and, in fact, most of them never reach my mailbox due to spamassassin.

Ignoramus9377