OT eye glasses

Some time ago someone recommended a web site that had good quality eyeglasses available at excellent prices over the net. Anyone remember and can pass on a web address? Thanks Bert

Reply to
The Tagge's

Can take a few weeks, as they are custom made by Hong Kong opticians and mailed from there. Kind of like ordering a custom-tailored suit. Good frames, coated lenses, optically centered, Rx dead on. My only complaint is that the domain name can't last forever.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

Oops, "500-Unknown Host". It wouldn't load for me. Gary Brady Austin, TX

Reply to
Gary Brady

On Thu, 20 May 2004 01:06:26 -0500, Richard J Kinch brought forth from the murky depths:

I purchased some of their glasses and upgraded to the stronger stainless steel frames for $22.95. The glasses work fine, but are pretty flimsy. I wear these single-vision glasses at the computer but remove them a dozen times a day to do other work in my bifocals. The right temple pivot is getting loose already and they appear to have a swaged rivet holding them together. Cheap, cheap, cheap.

Problem with the glasses: the right lens was not matched to the frame and popped out. I got out my magnifying 'hat', suction cup vise, and precision screwdriver set only to find a previously stripped (by the factory technicians) screw on the side which needed modification.

After 3 emails sent within a week, each a bit angrier, the guy finally called me back to talk about it. He agreed to send a pair of screws to me. That was a month ago and I need to call once more (I called last week and left a message with no callback from them.) to see what happened.

I'm not real impressed with these people, but the prescription was right on. They use polycarbonate lenses only.

Final impression: These would be perfect spare glasses, but I don't think they'll last in a rough environment.

========================================================== Save the |||

Endangered SKEETS! ||| Web Application Programming ==========================================================

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well ... "nslookup" shows the IP address as 69.49.252.119, and I have no trouble connecting. You might try again, as sometimes the DNS servers are slow for out-of-country sites. or you could substitute the raw IP address (e.g):

http://69.49.252.119/ to see if you get through.

The one thing which I see as a problem for most of us, is that they don't mention prescription safety glasses as an option. I make sure that mine are certified safety glasses, since I am sure to need them for work in the shop anyway. I just have two identical copies -- one with the clip-on side shields, and one without.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

All I can say is that the pair of cheapest frames they sent were well made, including flex hinges that the local outfits hold out as a pricey upgrade. I would put them up against any of the $150 items at the local 1-hour chains. They all use imports anyway. It's a racket.

Reply to
Richard J Kinch

I've run into this on glasses. I have a small collection of 0, 00 and

000 screws and nuts. I drilled out the holes to clearance and used a screw and nut. Either double nut them or use a bit of loctite.

Ted

PS: The usual nominal screw diameter (D = .060 + .013 x screw number) works if you regard 00 and 000 as -1 and -2. Never good figure why so many systems can't cope with negative numbers.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards