OT - "Microsoft" scam

Careful, lads, some swine is sending out an email ostensibly from Microsoft that contains a "patch" which is actually a virus. More here:

Regards,

Marv (comfortably running Netscape 7.0 on Linux)

Reply to
marv soloff

Yup, ever since 2:00pm this afternoon I've been getting a deluge of them.

25 in my trash bin right now, since about 5. It's 8 o'clock now. No wonder there's so many, it looks far more professional than any other virus to date..

Tim

-- In the immortal words of Ned Flanders: "No foot longs!" Website @

Tim Williams

Pretty much old news for me. I have been getting at least two virus laden e-mails a day from various senders, claiming to be Microsoft. It has been going on for at least a couple years. Never open any attachments, in e-mails, from senders claiming to be MS. MS always sends you to a web page for any updates. Greg

Reply to
Greg O

Roy Jenson

Reply to
James P Crombie

You're probably right. You don't get viruses as long as you don't open the attachments.

Abrasha

Abrasha

i got four of them yesterday... my first question is when i get this kind of stuff: why would microsoft or for tht matter anyone worry about me???? and the question is answered, they should not and the thing gets deleted before i open it up.... good policy to do so you dont get stung.

Reply to
jim

I guess that I can relax a little and not feel like the lone stranger.......more than 200 copies of at least 20 versions in the last 30 hours....

Craig C. snipped-for-privacy@ev1.net

Reply to
Craig

marv soloff scribed in :

I just read this thread, then my email said '2 new message's, and behold, the dreaded lurgy has arrived in Africa too. before that, I had none

good on yer mate, down with Holy MS Products

swarf, steam and wind

-- David Forsyth -:- the email address is real /"\

\ / ASCII Ribbon campaign against HTML E-Mail > - - - - - - -> X If you receive email saying "Send this to everyone you know," / \ PLEASE pretend you don't know me.

Reply to
DejaVU

I've been plagued by spammers and messages containing a virus. Opened the box today, 44messages, 40 of them spam + virus. Remember Microsoft does'nt send email so anything claiming a microsoft connection should be deleted. There are new "strains" out there so please update. If you have'nt got a good program there's a free one on

I've decided to fight the spammers. I have software that sends a mesage back to senders who are'nt in my contact list requesting a verification. If you would like to do the same here's a link to the software.
Glenn

Reply to
Glenn Cramond

I stopped bouncing mine because they were being bounced back at me. So I was compounding the problem myself. Seems to be getting better now that I've stopped the bounce.

Non bouncing Bill

William G Darby

Paul in NE Ohio

Paul Hiers

Yea. :-( I had 58 of them thismorning. ...lew...

Reply to
Lewis Hartswick

I would not mind if Bill Gates would be the first one to be strung up. It is in large part thanks to his crappy software that we are suffereign through this garbage.

Abrasha

Abrasha

I'm getting 100+ an hour. It started yesterday afternoon. Some pretend to be a patch from Microsoft, and some pretend to be bounced email.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Martindale

See if you can tell your email software not to download stuff over a certain size unless requested.

I run Eudora for email, and I tell it not to download anything over

100kB in size. With the current flood of viruses, it normally downloads just the email headers and the first few lines of content. They get sorted into my "probably trash" folder, and I delete them. Then, next time I check my email, Eudora deletes the bodies of all of those messages back on the server - without ever having downloaded them.

The downside is that when you get something you *want* that's over the specified size, you have to click a button to explicitly get it. But occasionally clicking a button for good messages to avoid downloading

500 copies of a virus is a good tradeoff, I think.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Martindale

Apparently, this particular virus actually sends fake "undeliverable message" emails. So it didn't send those messages to someone else and have them bounce, it actually sent a fake bounce message directly to you.

On the other hand, the last common virus of a few weeks ago did do exactly what you describe - send out email with faked return addresses.

The difference is that, if mail administrators configured their email systems to simply drop messages containing viruses *without* notifying the sender, you'd stop getting "mail bounced" messages from the second type of virus message. But you'd still get the fake bounce messages, since they aren't coming from a real mailer anyway.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Martindale

Roy, you are posting in HTML. I suspect that many of us will start rejecting *all* HTML e-mails and postings as a defence measure. Might be a good idea to turn it off.

Ted

Reply to
Ted Edwards

I eliminated the middle man and set a filter to delete anything with ms or microsoft in the subject. They finally died down.

Reply to
Jack Erbes

Re: OT - "Microsoft" scam Group: rec.crafts.metalworking Date: Fri, Sep 19, 2003, 3:21pm (MDT+6) From: snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net (Lewis=A0Hartswick) marv soloff wrote: Careful, lads, some swine is sending out an email ostensibly from Microsoft that contains a "patch" which is actually a virus. More here: Regards, Marv Yea. :-( I had 58 of them thismorning. =A0=A0=A0...lew... \

Never thought I'd look back nostalgically on the days when I got (only) a dozen or two penis enlargement spams. Jeeeeezzisss.......

Dar

Reply to
Dar Shelton