OT My second electric bike

On Sun, 3 Jul 2016 04:42:07 -0000 (UTC), John Doe

Read the law. Those scooters without pedals are "off road vehicles" and are illegal even in nevada. Johnny nLaw may turn a blind eye, but by FEDERAL LAW they are illegal, and Nevada does not appear to have done anyyhing as a state to change that. Local districts MAY pass bylaws to allow off-road vehicles to use local roads.
On Sun, 03 Jul 2016 09:43:26 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@snyder.on.ca wrote:

Yes, as golf carts are allowed on streets but cannot legally even cross state highways in several of the cities around here.

He's a fuckhead.
On Saturday, July 2, 2016 at 10:37:11 PM UTC-4, Clare wrote:

USA)

h I

;

ed

if

new

st

ar

if

Wanna call a cop?
https://youtu.be/f0MWATBr6q4?tF6

https://youtu.be/f0MWATBr6q4?tF6

On Sat, 2 Jul 2016 02:04:14 -0000 (UTC), John Doe

The issue of Fab Shop with your bike in it will be out in a couple of weeks. I'll let you know.
--
Ed Huntress

On Sat, 02 Jul 2016 09:04:33 -0400, Ed Huntress

Yeah... it goes ZOOM on a declined plane with a tailwind.
On Sat, 02 Jul 2016 09:46:48 -0400, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Did you see the video?
By the way, I have a story coming out in a couple of weeks about cordless tools. Metabo has a new angle-head grinder coming out. It's a 9-in. grinder and the 30V battery pack puts out 2,500 watts.
That's over 3 horsepower.
--
Ed Huntress

On Sat, 02 Jul 2016 10:10:41 -0400, Ed Huntress

Do some math on batteries, and then determine that either the motor spec is a lie or the thing will only last 15 seconds.
Oh and BTW that is over 83 amps. So another FAIL / LIE hint would be the gauge of the feed wires to the motor.
Use some common sense, people!
On Sat, 02 Jul 2016 11:39:49 -0400, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Their present battery is 6.2 Ah. The new one, IIRC, will be something like 9 Ah.
So the run time is around 6.5 minutes, not 15 seconds. And the tool is not likely to be used continuously at full power. The conductors, if I understand correctly, are copper bars. I'm more interested in how they handle that amperage in a compact brushless motor than in how they get it there.
Keep in mind, also, that Metabo has wireless charging. In industry, the wireless charger is used to keep topping up the battery, when you put the tool down for any reason.
Go watch one of their 1,200 - 1,300 watt tools if you don't believe they can do 2,500.
--
Ed Huntress
KC2NZT

9Ah will do 9 amps for ONE hour.
At 83 Amps, it wouldn't last ten minutes. Does not seem very useful, especially for powering a bicycle.
On Sat, 02 Jul 2016 12:53:03 -0400, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Or 83 amps for 6.5 minutes, which is what I said.

It's not intended to power bicycles. It's for grinding welds.
--
Ed Huntress

On Sat, 02 Jul 2016 13:04:31 -0400, Ed Huntress

Wow... a real workhorse of a system.

Which means that bringing it up in this thread makes all the sense in the world, right?
On Sat, 02 Jul 2016 13:15:05 -0400, DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Yeah it is, or it probably will be when it's on the market, as you would realize if you knew anything about real-world operations in a fab shop. You don't use it at full power except in short periods, and the wireless charger will keep it going. In real-world use, you're typically swapping at least two batteries during the course of a day.

John's experiment is interesting for several reasons, but one of them is that he's using what probably are the most advanced high-density lithium-ion, high-current-output batteries you can buy in a consumer product. I brought up the new Metabo to show that he's on the right track with the batteries, at least. That battery -- even the ones on the market right now -- far exceed the capability of most other Li-ion batteries. The cordless power tool business is fiercely competitive and it's produced some of the most advanced battery-powered tools and devices.
So he started with something that most people scoff at -- I've been skeptical, but I didn't scoff -- and he ignored us while he plowed ahead. I admire his determination and it appears he's shown just how feeble the Li-ion batteries in electric bicycles are, by comparison, on a per-pound basis.
--
Ed Huntress

On Sat, 2 Jul 2016 21:04:46 -0000 (UTC), John Doe

Technically, they may be similar. I made a mistake there -- Metabo does not have a wireless charger (yet). Bosch does.
I wound up with a fairly long article on the subject. My cover photo is interesting -- a hand-held, cordless metalworking bandsaw, from Milwaukee Tool.
--
Ed Huntress

message wrote:

Segways put out about that much power from two motors that fit into standard 8 ounce coffee cups (I just checked). http://www.glide4less.com/product/used-segway-motor-w-coupling-for-gen-1 --jsw