OT My second electric bike

50 cc or 750 watts in the USA - is a MOPED

Electric assist (not gasoline) is a different animal and is considered a bicycle AS LONG AS IT CAN BE RIDDEN UNDER PEDAL POWER.

Take the pedals off and it does not fit ANY legal definition for road use.

Reply to
clare

Segways faced similar issues; they didn't fit any existing category. We tried to have them treated as pedestrians but were frustrated by cyclists demanding equal access to the sidewalk.

The law also has to consider electric wheelchairs which have similar properties. Unlike a bicycle they have no difficulty stopping and starting and can match walking speeds.

Segways were banned in the Netherlands for a while because they have no brakes. They stop the same way your shoes do.

--jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

We have one in town, ridden (is that the word?) by our meter maid.

Reply to
Ed Huntress

"Glide" didn't catch on.

I tried an engineering loaner around here. The sides of the roads aren't fit for -anything- except snowbanks.

--jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

On Sat, 02 Jul 2016 23:43:48 -0400, Ed Huntress Gave us:

Mopeds also were designed at a 30 MPH limit (back then) as that was the limit in most states for non-licensed motorized bicycle type. vehicles.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Maybe one of these?

Happen to see one for sale recently on Craigs List. Kind of cool until you start pricing replacement parts ;-)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

They'd still have to swerve into the travel lane where the ditch or embankment begins at the phone poles, or when forced in by guard rails. The problem is avoiding mindlessly wandering traffic, not physically traveling on the shoulder although the snow plows and frost do tear up the edges. ATVs of all types were very common around here until development filled the flats and began consuming the hilly land.

I've tried several ways to combine road and off-road capabilities. The most versatile was to carry an inflatable raft on a bicycle. Either can hold me and the other, and go over a chain link fence.

The longest ranged was a street-legal dirt bike with trials tires. It could handle winter snowmobile trails as long as I stayed on the packed area and I've walked it across the steeply sloping rock embankments under bridges while following streams.

--jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

Right. Electric assist limit is 20mph and 1,000W in Oregon.

Reply to
Larry Jaques

Well if you want all-purpose and got $$$$ to burn get a Rokon:

They even float or you can use the hollow rims to store extra fuel. I thought they were the way to go until I priced one ;-)

Reply to
Leon Fisk

Although they are a local NH company I've never seen one out on the trails, which are mostly in upland areas with firm rocky ground. We have to look to find boggy spots to include on dirt bike rally routes. Personally I tried not to leave any trace the next rain wouldn't erase.

As an illustration every time a friend called to ask for help getting unstuck I was able to drive almost to where he was in my car, and bring him and his valuables home so he could plead with someone whose truck was big enough to drag him out.

--jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

He's a f*****ad.

Reply to
JW

Obviously electric wheelchairs fall into a completely different category. Service animals aren't considered pets, for similar reasons.

Reply to
krw

Yes, as golf carts are allowed on streets but cannot legally even cross state highways in several of the cities around here.

Reply to
krw

Are you telling me I didn't ride as fast as I could with one wheel bouncing along the railroad tie ends and the other down in the ballast?

--pnWx5t[c7

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

;