OT: New shop-cats update

My two loving baby black kittens that I got from the APL in Sep. are grown now. They still love human contact and can't get enough. We've had crews out in the yard for the past two days doing clean-up. The two sisters, that just cuddle and love on everybody got their first real taste of the outdoors...all the doors are open. The two have co-operatively and systematically decimated the bird population in short order. They have been seen jumping from a stand-still 8 feet straight up and catching birds on the fly. One herds the birds toward the other and they take turns. It's unbelievable! The guys in the yard and I, stand in horror watching the carnage. One almost got a double-header. One of the guys said to me: "If they were any bigger, I would be afraid of them!" Debbie, my production manager, feeds and dotes on her little girls so the cats keep bring their kills to her and piling them up on her desk...she is mortified with their glee for the hunt. I told her she's been training them unconsciously for months now with her cat toy that is a brightly colored clump of feathers on a string tied to a stick. She looks at me and breaks out in tears sobbing: "I've created little MONSTERS!"

We haven't seen a mouse or such (alive, anyway) since September. Coincidence? I think NOT!

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I caught a muskrat sunday night where I work. They don't run so good on epoxy painted floors.

Wes

Reply to
clutch

Wes

Now there's an expensive trap!

Jim (who's latest catch was an alligator lizard in the basement shop waste basket. He was pretty glad to be put outside, I think he was tired of swarf.)

Reply to
Jim McGill

Cool! Now you can rent em out to folks with varmint problems!

Gunner

"Liberalism is a philosophy of consolation for Western civilization as it commits suicide"

- James Burnham

Reply to
Gunner

Heh! For a bird lover ( I am) they represent a great target, not something to be cherished. while I can present no cites, it has been reported that cats are partially attributed to the sharp decline of the song bird population. I'd be hard pressed to endorse them.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

We have 400 billion Sparrows...less nine, so far. The are filthy and the chop holes in my building.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Sparrows, fine. And I'd be proud if either of ours had the gumption to snag a grackle, though they'd probably be spitting for days.

I hope neither of them ever kills a redbird or a mockingbird. I don't worry too much about the bluejays ;)

Reply to
Rex

"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote

I guess it's all in the way you look at it. I happen to be a birder and do bird photography. I'm just a little more partial to birds than cats. And I do own a cat.

Killing to eat is one thing. Killing for fun is another. These cats are obviously killing for fun.

I hunt and fish. I do not take any wild game that I do not consume. Killing for fun is not a good thing in my book. No matter what the species.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

They are not killing for fun. They are killing because that is what they are hardwired to do. Some people kill for fun. Animals generally kill either for food, or training to catch food. Practice, as it were.

They are in point of fact, predators. Doing what it is that they normally would do, through no fault of their own.

It is only in the last few thousand years that the common cat has had life good enough that it did not have to catcth its own food supply (at least the lucky ones) but the instinct is still there.

Cheers Trevor Jones

Reply to
Trevor Jones

Oh, geez, I know. Cats behave as cats.

It's just that someone had to jump in with a liberal animal rights activist treehugger blog, and I was bored.

Steve ;-)

Reply to
Steve B

So you are the Designated Liberal for this date? [noted] I want to be here when Gunner is 'up'.

Reply to
Rex

All the good birds left this ghetto during the urban flight. (Pun intended) We only have the low-income birds left...Sparrows and pidgens.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

Make them eat the birds they kill... maybe they will stop, or maybe they are since they read the newspaper article on the contaminated cat food. :)

John

Reply to
John

We still have a lot of human hunters around herer in PA. Its in their blood..... Just drop of a couple pounds of bambiburgers and I won't complain.

John

Reply to
John

"John" wrote

My favorite of all time was the one where they rescued the seal from the oil spill and nursed it back to health with $250,000 of my money.

They took it to the beach for release. They took TV crews. They took first graders.

After release, and in full view of all, it was immediately eaten by an orca.

Steve

Reply to
Steve B

YOu see the problem the animal rights people have in Washington State?

The seals are eating the salmon..... they are both protected and the seals are decimating the salmon.

John

Reply to
John

LOL

Now thats an expensive meal. I hope the orca enjoyed it.

John

Reply to
John

Chuckle!

So what's the problem? :-)

We like to feed our Orcas expensive snacks.

Harold

Reply to
Harold and Susan Vordos

I never ate whale meat. Probably make a heck of a barbecue. Get that orca, I'm hungry.

John

Reply to
John

********** If they were only taking 10 percent of the population it wouldn't be too bad. :-) Here I go again without being ask. ...lew...