OT Parts Cleaner Filter

I picked up one of those tabletop parts cleaners. The 'filter' which attaches to the pump looks to be no more than a plastic strainer. It would block any really big pieces, but not something the size of a grain of sand. The 'filter' is in two pieces as if it was supposed to have a real filter put in it.

Do I use as is? Anyone added a real filter to it? If so, where do I find one?

Wayne D.

Reply to
Wayne

I made a parts washer and used a fine filter. It clogged up pretty quickly. Then I saw this idea about using a piece of carpet (I probably saw it here). The idea is take a piece of carpet (deep & thick is good) and lay it in the bottom of the washer. The debris will settle there and be trapped. My pump is at the side of the tank, so I turned up the carpet before the pump so the fluid has to go through it. It's a filter, but one with a very large surface and not too fine. Bob

Reply to
Bob Engelhardt

If you decide to cobble something up, fiberglass insulation makes pretty good filtering material. I don't remember how those little parts cleaners are arranged, though. Might have to cut a mat over the whole bottom, throw away when it gets too funky. I use the stuff in a huge funnel to strain electrolytic derusting solution.

GWE

Reply to
Grant Erwin