OT: Some gun owners breaking with the Dubya

Back in 2000 I recieved several mailings from hunting organizations touting the Dubya as our savior. Since Friday I have received mail from three of those same organizations asking for money to FIGHT the Dubya. It seems that they didn't realize what he ment when he said he was going to "put our public lands to work." Now that their best hunting grounds are being clear cut, oil dericks are going up in their wildernesses and methane recovery plants are poluting their trout streams they are having second thoughts.

The NRA needs to wise up and quit blindly supporting Bush. It does no good to fight for the right to own guns if they eliminate all the places we can use them.

An opinion from someone who actually uses his weapons for something other than as a testosterone substitute and plinking beer cans.

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

No one is blind at the NRA. We don't have a choice between Bush and Ted Nugent, the choice is between Bush and Learch

Learch has an F- voting record on guns. Who is blind here?

Reply to
Clark Magnuson

Then they need to start pulling their weight and start speaking out about the systematic irradication of our wilderness. As far as I can tell the NRA leadership is a bunch of one topic knee jerk reactionaries. They have no interest in the sportsmanship side of gun owning other than as a way to justify their existance.

Reply to
Glenn Ashmore

I'm afraid I don't buy your cover story. Who is the alternative besides GW for gunowners?

Then there is always Teddy:

Identify the organizations that you claim are going to oppose GW Bush in the upcoming election for his "unfriendly" position on gun ownership.

Sounds like total bullshit to me.

Mike Eberlein

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

Reply to
mikee

Lest rcm descend into "political hell", can you please take this kind of stuff somewhere else? at least for the duration of the election cycle? please?

Vaughn

Reply to
Vaughn

OK, you said it, now prove it, give me some concrete examples.

oil dericks are going up in their wildernesses

OK, if this is happening, several people will be interested so where, exactly, are you talking about.

and

Again I ask, and be specific, where is this happening, and who is distraught about it?

they are having

Please define "they".

Thanks, a lot, JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

Reply to
gundoc

Scroll down to "Outdoors Enthusiasts Question Bush Policies" Click and listen.

Forty of the hunting clubs are from Texas.

Dale Scroggins

Reply to
Dale Scroggins

Stupid yes. Blind no.

What we need is a constitutional amendment that would require that everyone West of the Mississippi will wear a holstered firearm on their person and that no one East of the Mississippi will be allowed take a trigger-lock off a gun unless their mother is present. Then we wait and see what happens.

Reply to
Dave

Hell you guys and girls are lucky....you are still alowed to own guns! (well we are too) up here in Canada we have a law called bill C-68 and it is a gun registry for ALL firearms. It was supposed to only cost $2 million to impliment and it still is not up and running to it full extent and it is now costing Canadian tax payers over $1 Billion!!!. Simply put it is a law that makes it very difficult to aquire or possess a firearm, not to mention the expence!. Every firearm MUST be registerd for a fee and many guns that where restricted before are now prohibited. I'm not too sure just why our goverment is ramming this thing down our throats but they are doing their damnest to make us accept it.

Ha, and all this in a land of endless wilderness for hunting!

Reply to
onsite welding

Hmm. I bet they could simply outfit every gun owner in canada with a personal copy of michael moore for that much money! :)

Jim

jim rozen

I'd have to move. ASAP.

Reply to
Henry Bibb

Do you mind!? Some people are trying to eat their breakfast!

JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

Oh my goodness, an NPR link! Please! And you actually believe the right wing, activist gun owner croud is going to vote for........Kerry.....Nader maybe? Turn off Limbaugh and Hannity and G. Gordon Liddy and flock too NPR? Bush has done a lot of things that different republican sub groups disagree with, but the bottom line is that none of those sub groups are going to vote for any opponent of Bush, not in this life or any other.

regards, JTMcC.

Reply to
JTMcC

East or west?

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

From what I understand..its still not going very well..chuckle. Seems a hell of a lot of Canadians are not registering their arms.

Alert Date: January 05, 2004

Police union blasts gun registry SOURCE DATE: January 05, 2004 AUTHOR: Mario Toneguzzi

PUBLICATION: Calgary Herald

The union head of Calgary's front-line police officers is calling for the federal government to scrap the billion-dollar gun registry because it has been a colossal failure in reducing violent crime in the country.

Al Koenig, president of the Calgary Police Association, said the vast amount of money spent on the firearms program could have been much better put to use for front-line police officers in Canada.

He said the program has had no effect on crime or acted in any way as a deterrent. "Our position on this is very firm," said Koenig. "We do not support it, and we will be fighting against it. "The police and the public are still at risk. . . . Despite the money spent, it should be scrapped."

Last week, new federal Public Safety Minister Anne McLellan said the goal of the program is to protect Canadians from violence without unnecessary spending. She has launched a cabinet-level review of the gun registry to try to make it more effective and cost-efficient.

Failed Canada Gun Registration Scheme A Lesson For California

SCORNED LAW RESULTS IN MASSIVE CIVIL DISOBEDIENCE

The Toronto Star and the Canadian Press are reporting that hundreds of thousands of gun owners in Canada, possibly at least one third of all Canadian gun owners, have yet to register their firearms under the new Canadian mandatory gun registration scheme. So far, the Star reports that noncompliance has forced the Canadian government to waive registration fees for a period of time, as a form of encouragement. The costs of the program, meanwhile, have spiraled up many times higher than anticipated. The Canadian Firearms Centre is preparing to send out reminder letters to those hundreds of thousands of gun owners who have yet to register their firearms. Guns must be registered by January 1, 2003. Possession of non-registered guns can lead to five years in prison and other charges under the Firearms Act or the Criminal Code.

Pro-gun activists in Canada are hinting that "holdouts" are not likely to comply anytime soon, so the government may be facing the grim prospect of having to arrest, try, convict, and imprison some 667,000 "lawbreakers." As the Press reported: Alliance MP Garry Breitkreuz believes the gun registry will have trouble convincing the holdouts. "If they didn't capture these people during their stay-out-of-jail sale, then I don't know how many would still comply with the law," Breitkreuz said

From the January 2001 Idaho Observer:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Half of guns unregistered as of Jan. 1 deadline

Millions of Canadian gun owners refuse to acknowledge new law

by Jill Mahoney

EDMONTON, Alberta, Canada -- As many as half of Canada's gun owners could be in violation of federal law on Jan. 1, the deadline for obtaining firearms licenses.

So far, 1.7 million people have enrolled with the federal government's gun registry. The exact number of Canadians possessing firearms is unknown but estimates range from fewer than 3.3 million to as many as nine million.

In any case, it appears that far more people own guns than are participating in the registry under the controversial legislation, still often referred to by its legislative name, Bill C-68.

A very good complilation of articles

registry scaled back after funding problems Last Updated Fri, 13 Dec 2002 8:39:05 OTTAWA - The federal government, under pressure for overspending on the national gun registry, says it's going to scale back the program for the foreseeable future

won't enforce gun-registry

STEPHENVILLE, Nfld. (CP) - Newfoundland has become the latest province to refuse to prosecute gun owners who don't register their weapons.

Premier Roger Grimes drew a loud round of applause Thursday night in Stephenville when he said the federal government can enforce the law itself.

He said provincial conservation officers will continue to go after people who violate hunting regulations. But he said the province will not enforce a law that it does not agree with.

Recently, New Brunswick made the same decision. And Premier Bernard Lord said the federal government should abandon the gun registry altogether since a majority of provinces have refused to prosecute violations.

05, 2003 Computer crash latest blow to troubled [Canadian] gun registry Recent computer crashes may have deleted gun owners' names from the already troubled firearms registry, Solicitor-General Wayne Easter admitted yesterday. In yet another blow to the controversial gun-control initiative, Easter said a system overload may have wiped out online applications in late December

*************

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

They could give every gun owner in Canada a bit of Michael Moore for a faction of that price. Whats the current value of a half ton of horse shit? Divide by 9 million..

Gunner

"To be civilized is to restrain the ability to commit mayhem. To be incapable of committing mayhem is not the mark of the civilized, merely the domesticated." - Trefor Thomas

Reply to
Gunner

Now, if I lived *on* the Mississippi River on a houseboat would I be required to wear a side arm with a trigger lock on it?

Reply to
Artemia Salina

A chastity belt with a built-in derringer and a tripwire.

Ed Huntress

Reply to
Ed Huntress

What about California and the rest of the Left Coast?

Reply to
G. Wood