OT Wasted lives

Wrong again.

Help me out with some arithmetic here.

How many Japanese were killed be the Hiroshima and Nagasaki bombings? How many Japanese, Chinese, Americans, Soviets, and Koreans would have been killed had the war continued until the Spring of 1946?

What is that difference?

Now, how many people live in the region you want to nuke?

Assuming you are correct that depopulating the region will reduce future conflicts, how many people will be saved over the next century?

What is THAT difference?

Reply to
fredfighter

Those two nukes were the last ones we had.

John

Reply to
John

You know me: i don't beat around the bush. I wrap a chain around it and use my truck to pull it out, roots and all! ;-)

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

Yes, but only because Truman ordered a halt to production as soon as Japan agreed to surrender. A fourth (counting Trinity as the first) was in transit to the Pacific theater at the time. It was shipped in two o r more separate assemblies, to be assembled on Taipan prior to use.

Had production continued according to plan the US would have been making atomic bombs at the rate of perhaps a dozen per month by the end of 1945.

It was estimated that 25 million Japanese would have starved by the Spring of 1946, had the war not ended by the end of the summer of

1945.
Reply to
fredfighter

They're baaaack...

cavelamb himself

You haven't been paying much attention. Artillery and "airborne" artillery (whatever the hell that is!) has been GPS guided for several years now. The current favorite in dropped bombs is the SDB, Small Diameter Bomb, a 250 pound cutie that gets regularly slid down the unlubricated smoke hole of many an unhappy camel fucker. Takes out a single dwelling (or just a couple rooms of something bigger) and nothing more. GPS guided weaponry has been gaining in popularity for many, many years lately on account of the goal of minimizing collateral damage, including casualties. It's not something the foamy mouth liberals want to envision, that the military is actually trying to kill _less_ people, not more, all with the direction of the current administration.

If you weren't so busy focusing on how bad you'd like the news to be, you'd learn something new and refreshing.

Reply to
Carl McIver

Maybe the last time you went in for finger surgery you thought that cutting off the wrong arm was close enough, for me it ain't.

Surgical: Bad guy sits down at dinner with family, bad guy dead, innocents get blood and guts on them.

How to make a bunch of new terrorists: Bad guy sits down at table, blow up house, killing a half dozen innocents. Made worse when the targeting is abased on BAD intel. We are often fed info on 'jihadists' just to settle private scores.

"Airborne artillery" is AC-130 gunships used nightly in operations over Baghdad, and regular artillery was used on neighborhoods just a few weeks ago in Baghdad.

You think a bomb is 'cute', that alone speaks volumes.

RIIIGHT! You mean the same guys that brought us Abu Ghraib, failed utterly at reconstruction, and still have not secured the borders are trying to save lives...Wanna buy a bridge?

I want good news, but I'm forced to deal with what is really happening there.

New and refreshing would be the administration admitting that this is a complete clusterfuck and starting to figure out how to get out of it.

And nobody here has yet figured out what 'winning' this fiasco is supposed to look like.

Reply to
Stuart Wheaton