What is it? CC

Photos of this week's objects are listed below, 1104 is the possible farrier tool, please let us know if it looks familiar.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

Just one verified answer so far for this set, on three of them I think we're close to getting them identified, and it's hard to say about the last two. The partially complete answer page can be seen here:

Thanks to everyone who took some wild guesses this week.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

On 1107, does the "claw" part move relative to the "handle" part?

Reply to
J. Clarke

Each position on the triangle is not identical - one has the white plastic bump sticking out.

It is very definitely a stud finder. My father had one - in the box and with directions. I remember reading them, but as it was at least

40 years ago I'm a bit fuzzy on the specifics. Except that you placed it against the wall with the white bump either up or down. You then banged with your hand, and as I recall it was the wall you hit - not the stud finder. Again, I don't recall the specifics. But try hitting the wall instead of the stud finder.

John Martin

Reply to
John Martin

Only the hooks move relative to the handle, the smaller claws don't move at all. Here is a photo of the hooks rotated:

This could be a one of a kind specially made tool, there are no markings on it as with most that are mass produced.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

It's worth pointing out that you usually look for studs on the sorts of walls that do bounce slightly when you hit them, rather than brick walls. This is a stud finder, not a wrist-bone finder.

Reply to
Patrick Hamlyn

I think maybe the tube isn't perpendicular to the face of the hexagon. I'd press the hexagon against a plumb wall once with the dot on the triangle up and once with it down. I think maybe one way the balls will roll to the hexagon and the other way they'll roll to the triangle.

If that's true, I'd press the hex end against the wall with the balls against the hex, then hit the wall with my hand. Over a void, I'd expect both balls to move. Over a stud I'd expect only the small ball to move.

Reply to
E Z Peaces

If it were to apply something to a strip, wouldn't it use a roller? Wouldn't the top of the roller be the highest part?

If it doesn't open for cleaning, I think it must be for water. With the top of the ball so low, I think it wouldn't be good for applying water to anything but fingers.

Several finger moisteners using balls have been patented for bankers. These devices have no handle, which would get in the way. The top of the ball is the highest part. They come apart for cleaning, and the balls are usually glass.

I think this device is for a person who needs his fingers wetter than a banker but doesn't want to drip. I think the handle is to make it easy for a person whose hands may be messy to dump and refill. I wonder if it's for somebody using wet fingers to smooth clay or plaster.

Reply to
E Z Peaces

I experimented with this a bit more. With the "dot" down and the red triangle against the wall it forces the balls to roll towards the wall with a fixed amount of force (assuming a perpendicular wall). It does bounce the balls slightly on a flexible portion of the wall and less over a stud area. The difference isn't remarkable and it still makes zeroing in on a stud hard. (and pounding a wall is no fun) I bet you'd have just as much luck pounding on the wall without this.

Anyway I suppose in the days before magnetic (finds nails) and electronic stud finders this may have been sold as a mechanical solution.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'd vote for this one as the most likely answer.

Reply to
Joseph Verock