What is it? LXIV

"R.H." wrote in news:AGyne.12691$XA6.5255 @tornado.ohiordc.rr.com:

363 - Hard to see the angles of the prisms, but if they're the right ones, you can make an anamorphic projection lens with them.
Reply to
Bruce Spainhower

363 I go along with the "periscope" 364 Tire pressure gauge sounds as good as anything else. 365 Capo sounds good 366 Yup, corkscrew 367 What everyone else says 368 Damfino 369 ?? Is it supposed to be used by pulling up on the handle or pushing down? Mounted on a board, looks like push down. Some kind of cobbler's tool? Reminds me of a tool used for spreading battery cable terminals, but that wouldn't be mounted like that.
Reply to
Norman D. Crow

363 - Kaleidoscope.

earle

*
Reply to
Earle Jones

O.K. Posting from rec.crafts.metalworking again:

363) Various things could be made from one or more prisms. The one which first pops into my mind is a simple periscope. (But a better one than can be made with just mirrors.) I used to get old tank periscope prisms, and pair them up as a kid. (I had a nice surplus store in town, which I frequented.) 364) Hmm ... sort of looks like an old powder gauge. I think that it is adjusted for capacity with the screw on the bottom, and it may bayonet into place on a reloading press or somewhere nearby using the two key slots in the larger hole. 365) A "capo" -- for holding the strings to a fret on a stringed instrument like a guitar or a banjo, to allow changing keys without having to retune everything -- or without having to learn alternate fingerings to play in another key. I think that this one must be for a banjo, as it does not appear to be wide enough to get all of the strings on a guitar. (And even if it is used on a 5-string banjo, it only needs to cover the first four -- the fifth starts at a different place, and may have a sliding equivalent for just that one string bolted to the neck. 366) A "winged" corkscrew. The gears on the sides are rotated by pressing the wings down, and they engage the square slots in the shaft leading to the corkscrew, pulling it up. 367) This one looks to me like a pulse rate monitor -- perhaps worn by a walker or a jogger. It apparently has a choice of audio output (beeps, I guess), or a readout on the display -- and an ability to measure time as well. The spring on the back goes around a finger, with the finger resting in the contoured groove, and the little pair of rectangles measuring the pulse, either by IR or electrical contacts. 368) It is either a makeshift circular saw (tiny) or a milling cutter. I hope that there are *two* nuts on the other side, or it will unscrew if chucked in a normal drill motor (electric drill). And the teeth are not oriented to use one in reverse which would tighten the nut.

That almost looks like a faucet washer under the screw head. Could it have been to clean grunge out of an old faucet?

369) It looks as though it is for stretching chain links or perhaps rings to crimp into farm animals for identification. It is certainly not for crimping them, however.

Now to see what others have said.

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Even better -- the two in cooperation can produce an image without the usual left-for-right reversal. Thus, you can see yourself as others see you. (But you would need larger ones for that.)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

363. Breast enhancement goggles. 364. Person confuser. 365. 3.5 inches of pure terror. In the right context, anyway. 366. "Swiss army knife" that McGuyver's alcoholic brother, Kevin, uses to make mixed drinks out of almost anything. 367. Fingertip shift light. 368. Screw frock. The purpose is to sound dirty. 369. Toenail clipper for people with wicked foot fungus.

Posted from RCM.

Reply to
B.B.

It's not for a banjo.

--julie

Reply to
Julie

Here's a bathroom cabinet I made recently.

Note the mirrors.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

#363: Periscope? No. #364: tip of a umbrella #365: Capotasta (SP) used for guitars (tuning) #366: Cork puller. Italian style, made in millions #367: Sensor for heart beat rate (clamped on finger) #368: Well, he needed a sawblade that will not cut. So he abused a good one until it suited. #369: Tool for widening tubes

Nick (this time I got it right with the numbers :-))

Reply to
Nick Müller

#363 - Can be used to make an interferometer.

Reply to
D Murphy

Yes, the handle is meant to push down, though the jaws don't close very much when it is depressed, I posted a photo of it in this position on the answer page.

Rob

Reply to
R.H.

I'm terribly disappo368. 1-1/2" long, thanks to Elijah for this photo, it's a tool he made for a very specific purpose. What is it and what was it made for?

Well, yeah, OK, saw blade, albeit a pretty cruddy one, but _what was it made FOR?_ i.e. what was that specific purpose?

Don't tease. ;-)

Thanks, Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

_what

I was going to leave this as a "cliffhanger" until next week, but if you really want to know I guess I can spill it now. Here is the description that Elijah provided to me:

"This is a saw for a depth controlled cut of plastic, specifically for cutting open a "wall wart" without damaging the transformer inside. I needed to resolder the output wires after they broke at the edge of the box. I put this in the chuck of a drill press, turned it on, then moved the transformer box around to cut it open along the existing seam."

Reply to
R.H.

Nice. You even have a partial image of you in the "jet mirror", showing the expected reversal (as indicated by the finger pushing the shutter release).

The "jet mirror" -- is that mounted in a ring into which turbine blades dovetail? Ir is it a ring gear of some sort?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

That's one of the little ones. I've made several.

That particular one is just a knife-edge seal - the diagonal bars round the edge hold it in place and there are a couple of sharp rings on the inside edge to form the seal. Some of the others are "stator" rings - static vanes at the end of the compresor stage.

selling site is under development - visit the market stall if you're in Bristol)

Reply to
Andy Dingley

363. Periscope. 364. Swage 365. NO clue 366. Wine cork remover 367. Either pedometer or exercise heart monitor 368. Tiny saw 369. Nutcracker

RCM

Gary Brady Austin, TX

Reply to
Gary Brady

Thanks.

I presume that these were pulled from over-time engines?

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols