Yes

Looks like one...

Correct.

Reply to
R.H.

Correct

Reply to
R.H.

247 is a hook for pulling on cowboy boots. there is a loop at the top of the boot, the hook goes in that and you pull up with the handle
Reply to
r payne
245 is an end view of an architects scale.

247 is for pulling on boots, esp. those pointy toed cowboy types.

Art

Reply to
Wood Butcher

Correct, it's a boot puller.

Reply to
R.H.

Both of these answers are correct.

Reply to
R.H.

"R.H." schrieb:

Semi-serious:

#242 an artefact #243 ticket puncher for use by conductors (bus etc.) #244 screwed onto a chain, it allows the end of the chain to be padlocked. It would be needed in a miner's dressing hall: instead of using lockers, the miners pulled their bundles up under the high hall roof (using a pulley, of course) and secured the line end down below, so noone could get at their bundle. #245 is pictured on photo #228 as well. #246 a small printing press? with the typeface in the drawers? #247 a handle

Done! Michael

Reply to
Michael Mendelsohn

Can't argue with that...

Nope

One of many possible uses.

Yes

If there were more divisions in the drawers this would seem more likely

Partially correct

Reply to
R.H.

242 Disk brake piston retractor tool

243 plastic cable tire cutter?

245 End on view of a draftsman/engineer's ruller!!

247 For help pulling on western/work boots

Greg

Reply to
Greg O

#243: Wire stripper for wire-wrap wire

#245: Boat anchor (?)

#246: Artist's easel with paint storage case (?)

+--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+ Now we'll just use some glue to hold things in place until the brads dry +--------------------------------------------------------------------------------+
Reply to
Mark & Juanita

Oops! Missed one.

247. Used by very fat men to pull up their zippers.
Reply to
B.B.

Correct.

Still researching this one

Both correct

Reply to
R.H.

Could be...

Too small for that

Most popular guess so far.

Reply to
R.H.

242 possibly a joining block part of a self-assembly furniture kit. 244 primitive 18th C. form of hand grenade? Handle is for throwing... 245 an engineer's or draughtsman's measuring scale, end-on. 246 most think it's an artist's easel, I think it may be a portable printing kit without the lead type. 247 cowboy boot puller, but it looks also a bit like a tool for lifting up water meter covers so the meter can be read. If you get a real "meter hook" I hope I'll recognise it, though.
Reply to
Mike Dworetsky

This one isn't for assembling furniture.

It appears to be made of solid metal.

Correct.

I'm going to a large antique show this weekend where I'm going to ask some of the old-timers about this one, they've come through for me a few times in the past.

Yes, it's a boot puller.

Reply to
R.H.

242) Looks like a junction block for modular furniture of some form, made out of 1" (or 25mm) square tubing. 243) Not really sure. It looks sort of like an early cable-tie cinching and cutoff tool, but I don't see how this one would do the cinching part. Perhaps if the block attached to the jaw opposite the one carrying the cutoff blade moves backwards in some way.

In any case, it is designed to cut off *something* which fits through the slot at the end, and whatever it is, it must be somewhat brittle, given the spacing of the cutoff-blade behind the slot.

And -- given that it is compound leverage, it must take quite a bit of force to cut off.

244) Looks sort of like something to keep critters from opening a gate, while allowing any human with the requisite number of hands to do so without trouble. It looks as though a hasp similar to the one on top fits through the slot. 245) As an article which I stumbled across before I got to this one said, it is the end of a draftsman or architect's triangular scale. (Which style would require looking at the scales.) 246) I can't tell the material from the photos, or the details of the uprights, but is some kind of trade-specific toolbox. I might even consider it to be for a farrier, to use when shoeing a horse, if the shoes could live on the cross-bar and the nails and tools in the drawers. 247) Bootjack -- for engaging the loops at the top of cowboy boots so you can pull them on without having to bend as much -- perhaps if you are old, or perhaps if a horse has recently thrown you and your back is stiff. :-)

Enjoy, DoN.

Reply to
DoN. Nichols

Reply to
Glenn

This one isn't for modular furniture.

I'm leaning towards stripper or crimper, but I suppose it could be a cutter.

Someone else suggested to me that it's a weight that is adjustable buy sticking small pieces of wood or metal in the slots. I was thinking maybe a washer could be put inside it to make it a little heavier if necessary. Hard to say where this one came from.

Yes

I agree that it's a trade specific toolbox, not sure about the farrier idea.

Correct.

Reply to
R.H.