Best Rated threads in ⚙ Model Engineering in the UKshow all threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Scrap prices
John wrote in another thread.. My local scrappy is having a hard time, very little material is coming in. However that is good for me! The other day I came away with 6 feet of 60 x 25mm alu bar plus...
2
2

Mig brazing
or, I suppose, more correctly, bronze welding. I see there are supplies of silicon bronze in mig reels. Anyone tried it? with what results? specifically, does it have special gas or machine...
12
12

Link belt drive problems
Since I have had my Denford Viceroy I have never been happy with the belt drive. This is an A section Link Belt, a similar setup to the Boxford. The Belt suffers as Backgear oiling is preferred from...
10
10

For Sale - Don Young Derby 4F Castings
As part of a deal to acquire some stuff that I wanted I've ended up with what appears to be a complete set of castings, plans and the build series from Model Engineer for a 3.5" Derby 4F by Don Young....

Elliot boring head problem
I'm getting ready to do a boring job on the mill and I am trying to set up my boring head, Elliot 1/2 to 12" type, and the damn thing appears to be seized up. I've removed the large grub screw from...
2
2

Oxy/Acetylene - Any cheaper alternative to BOC
Hi all Does anyone know if there's a cheaper way of setting up an Oxy/ Acetylene welding/brazing kit, than hiring bottles from BOC. I have the rest of the kit - burners, goggles, regulators, hoses,...
31
31

Chinese Whitworth?
I have a Clark CMD1225 mill/drill which is, I believe, a ZX25 clone made in Taiwan. Their current version is the CMD1225C which, I'm told, is made in China. I'd always assumed that the screw threads...
18
18

Flamefast CM350 update
This is just for the record. Some of you may remember that I bought an ex-school Flamefast CM350 furnace from Manchester. After passng through many hands in a transport process it arrived with me in...
7
7

Old Hydrovane
I am currently stripping and re-building an old 50psi three legged pot type Hydrovane compressor. I say old as it was manufactured by "Alfred Bullows" so goes back a bit. Two queries for anyone that...
3
3

Q&S Hacksaw available
Anyone after a Quilters & Smith 6 hacksawing machine? Almost certainly 3 phase. Ex school machine available for a sensible donation to school funds. To be collected from Southampton area Photo on...
8
8

Boxford help please
Hi, I have to move a boxford lathe soon. I only have a photo of it so far. I think it is BUD mk2 model with a lever near the changewheel cover for changing speeds. The symbol on the front shows a cone...
6
6

BA latest update
British Airways are flying in their Chinese aircraft crash investigator to Heathrow. Mr Wat Wen Fu King Wong arrives tomorrow.. .
20
20

Victoria U2 Mill
I have a new to me Victorial U2 Miller which came with a universal (rack milling ) head. It runs well and is quiet, I then found a standard vertical head which has the advantage of taking 40 int...
4
4

Marlow milling Machine
Hello. I have a Marlow vertical milling machine that needs assembling - does anyone else have one?,The back gear has been removed and I'd love a picture of the standard set up for spindle has taper...
1
1

How to set the gearbox to drive the leadscrew ?
Sounds silly, but I've only just got this Super 7 with Q/C gearbox, and the gearbox manual is decidedly sketchy and not much help to someone unfamiliar with the gearbox. As received, my lathe was...
21
21

Myford ML7 clutch
Hi, I have just joined, so I am not sure if I am on the right part of th site, for this question. Anyway, I have recently bought an old Myford ML7. It was in reasonabl condition; just requiring...
19
19

Christen drill grinder/sharpener?
Anyone know where I can get a set of instructions for the above, looks very much the same as this:- The only web page that I've found so far which ought to be relevant is that just comes up blank for...
10
10

questions about Clark CL500M lathe/miller
Hi I have recently brought a Clark CL500M combined lathe and miller (yes I realise it has some limitations, but its only for light use in my garage..) my problem is that it is in bits! I have managed...
2
2

Fabco Star bench pillar drill and conduit bender for sale
I'm rearranging my garage and so need to get rid of some stuff: Fabco Star bench mount pillar drill. Looks about 40 years old, well used - missing the table but as it's a bench mounted version it's...
1
1

It went for how much..????
These Delapena thingies always go for a fortune: DELAPENA/MYFORD LATHE PORTABLE PRECISION HONING TOOLS CONTROL HEADS, HONES, MANDRELS, TRUING STICKS & STONES Item number: 320171860218 Are they...
1
1