Oops

A warning to all who lift heavy stuff at home.

Whilst lifting a 1 ton mill in the garage the other week this component when bang very loudly.

Suprised me since it was being loaded vertically and is rated at 2.5 tonnes. Needless to say the mill hit the floor with a crash but fortunately only from 6 inches - gave me shock.

I don't think that I'll use redundant climbing karabiners again even though I've trusted my life to them before.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Is that a cast part? shouldn't be used for lifting if it is as the stress on that curve would be far over what it would carry.

Glad you're OK though :-))

Peter

Peter A Forbes

So would we say it went 'ping' then Charles?

Glad no one was hurt - hopethat you had you Toetectors on.

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Was your wallet lying on the mill table? Mark.

Reply to
mark

No, but I'd left the household bills on it.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

Were you using rope or something else?

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Just a few rolls of Andrex, I shouldn't wonder...

Regards, Tony

Reply to
Tony Jeffree

Two short nylon rope slings

Is that significant?

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping

I wasn't referring to the aftermath! :-)

Tom

Reply to
Tom

It could have been if you had been using chain, providing a stress riser. However you were breaking a cardinal rule of lifting. A karabiner of 2.5 ton is only good for .5 ton as the safety ratio in lifting is deemed to be 5 : 1.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

As far as I know the rating on karabiners is the breaking strain, not the safe working load.

Dave

Reply to
David Linton

Correction - I should of course have said the breaking LOAD

Dave

Reply to
Dave Linton

Reply to