Transporting milling machine (UK)

I have to move an Elliot Sturdimill 1250 from Manchester to Baldock (North Herts) shortly; anyone here have experience of moving a similar sized machine? If so, how did you do it? Can anyone recommend a firm who could do this at a sensible price or would be prepared to offer their services? Martin

Reply to
Martin Whybrow

I have done a few Bridgeports and one Sturdymill by using a folding engine crane, breaking down into big lumps, head, ram, table, knee and column and transporting the whole lot in a Peugeot Boxer van

-- Regards,

John Stevenson Nottingham, England.

Reply to
John Stevenson

John's full description is here:

in mind that a complete Bridgy weighs just shy of a tonne

I move a tons worth of Elliott/Victoria in one piece with a one tonne engine hoist and trailer (long before I read John's article) and frankly, if there's a next time, I'll break it up to smaller lumps! It means you clean it up first aswell!

I can't remember how much a Sturdimill weighs but IIRC they're "solid" so it would pay to work out the weight of the parts if you're going to do it yourself.

Charles

Reply to
Charles Ping