Latest threads in ⚙ Model Engineering in the UKshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Machinery's Handbook
I've just picked up a 9th Edition from a secondhand bookseller for six quid. Very nice it is too! 1934 or so, so it's seen some use. I like to think that I'm just the latest custodian. I ordered that...
1
1

Training set up
A friend is setting up an engineering training facility. There is an initial need for 5 lathes and a mill. This is where the problem starts. To buy new imported machines, or search for months to get...
2
2

Model Engineering societies around Shropshire.
Hi, I want to get involved with a Model Engineering group near me. Specifically a Railway orientated one, as I want to get involved with Signalling and Telecomms. Does anyone know of one with such an...
7
7

glue
Some while ago, I used some no-more-nails type stuff to attach a metal (chromed) soap dish thing to the ceramic-tiled splashback behind the handbasin. it's fallen off again, although it stayed there...
22
22

6BA helicoil?
I have a small 'diesel' model aircraft engine. The variable compression screw runs in the ali' cylinder jacket to control the contra-piston and hence the compression. The thread in the cylinder jacket...
2
2

re Heads Up Lathe for sale - cheap
Hi All Some time ago I posted a message that I may have a lathe to dispose of cheap - a Kerry. Sorry for the delay in responding but the lathe has finally been collected by a member of staff and is...
2
2

Case Model Traction Engine
There was a nice 6" or 4" scale Case model traction engine at the Essex County Show this weekend, owned by a Mr P. Neilsen. It was road-registered in Kent in 1991, does anyone know of this Mr Neilsen...
2
2

Tragedy in Southampton
Ford seem to have just announced that Transit production will cease in Southampton in 2011. Not certain whether they will import from Turkey instead. How will stuff get transported after 2011? Mark...
3
3

Myford Super 7 questions
Hi I am considering having my Super 7 reground and fitted with a new saddle but... How can I get an indication of the condition of the spindle bearings? Is there some simple tests I can do see if they...
1
1

Plans
Can anybody supply a copy of the plans relating to the Jowitt poppet valve steam engine featured in Model Engineer August / September 1987 , 3807 / 3809. ???

Steel and various bar stock going cheap
A friend in Sussex is chucking out a vast amount of bar stock in various sizes which I've only just found out about. He's already weighed in over a ton of mild steel for a paltry £70 a ton at the...
28
28

leadscrew reverse
I was looking at some pictures of lathes in the catalogues of certain well-known traders. My wife understands this need and only objects mildly to the time I spend with 'dirty Gerty', my Myford, in...
3
3

Looking for 10 UNF grub screws
I'm trying to locate a source for 10-32 UNF x 1/4" dog point grubscrews with little success, the only supplier listing it is TR Fasteners and they show it as non-preferred which probably means they...
12
12

Got a Machinery's Handbook at last !
Got three books from the work shop of an old machinist friend last night -nothing beats speaking to a person who has worked on triple expansion steam engines to gear cutting ! 1) "Machinery's...

Diesel engine to steam conversion
Hi, I have read on that it is possible to convert a diesel engine to steam, While I am waiting for the Australians to get back to me, I wondered if any of you guys know of any web sites or...
7
7