OxO Chamfer???

Hi,

Can someone explain me in details how the OxO chamfer works? I have tried to figure out with a single part and have read the on-line help but was not able to understand. Thanks for the help.

Pablo,

Reply to
Pablo

Do you mean the DxD Chamfer?

Distance along surface A x Distance along surface B

Reply to
Ben Loosli

Hi Ben,

No, I really mean a OxO chamfer. Here is the definition from the help:

O x O?Create a chamfer that is at an offset distance (O) from the edge along each surface. Pro/ENGINEER selects this by default only if D x D is not available. Note: This scheme is only available if the Offset Surfaces creation method is used.

I was able to create a OxO chamfer, but was unable to figure out where the dimensions (O) were measured from. For example for a DxD chamfer it creates a chamfer that is at a distance (D) from the edge along each surface. Thanks for your help.

Pablo,

Reply to
Pablo

Hi, Pablo.

The Offset x Offset is new stuff for me, but it appears what's happening is:

1) The surfaces adjacent the selected edge (assuming you've picked an edge) are offset by the input value.

2) An implied intersection curve defined by the offsets is pulled back normal to the adjacent surfaces and become the chamfer edges.

If that's not clear I can post a jpg or WF2 model to a site that allows attachments. It's pretty easy to see if you'll work with a couple of planar faces that intersect at some angle other than 90 degrees.

Reply to
Jeff Howard

Hi Jeff,

On a part that has wo planar surfaces that have an angle of other than 90, I created a datum curve (with the suppose O distance) on the adjacent surface but when I entered the O value the future edges of the chamfer did not pass through the datum curve.... If you could post a JPG on a web it will be appreciated, thanks.

Pablo,

Reply to
Pablo

Sure thing, Pablo.

Jeff Howard

Thank you very much, now I see how the OxO chamfer is created. I still wonder in what specific situation it is better to use this type of chamfer.

Pablo,

Reply to
Pablo

Got me there. One possible; since the offset intersection curve is also the center of a round of that size it should give you a chamfer that will nest nicely in a fillet. Other than that, no ideas.

Reply to
Jeff Howard