$3 gas is here!

Only because you've chosen to put high taxes on fuel.

Reply to
Steven P. McNicoll

Chad L. Ellis

That's great!

Reply to
raydunakin

We don't really have a lot of choice. We have a prime minister who does whatever GW tells him to do whether it's good for our people or the state of the planet or not. Jeez, this place depresses me!

Chris

Reply to
Chris Eilbeck

Oh, so you've only had high taxes for the last five years. I must have misunderstood...

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

The punks chose to stay because there was a city to pillage, women to rape and scores to settle, opportunity was knocking. The invalids stayed because they had no way out, they were prisoners in their own homes. The health workers stayed because their conscience would not let them walk out on their patients. Those without a car stayed because the busses were in short supply.

Not everyone wanted to stay.

What happened later is a local, state and national embarassment.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Rudy

Hmm - you have no choice because Blair is overtaxing you - who put him in charge anyway?

You know, an English leader ovetaxing us is why we tossed you guys out two centuries ago!

Dale Greene

Reply to
Dale Greene

I have watched the coverage of the disaster in disbelief. I know its easy to second-guess and be an armchair quarterback, but there is something seriously wrong here.

I've watched the reporters at the NO convention center beg for help for days. Same story in other places. Since I've been watching, there has been no plan, no one in charge. I listened as the Red Cross director explained how they pre-positioned supplies and personnel BEFORE the storm hit. And I watched as FEMA and politicians balked and fidgeted when asked why they weren't as well prepared.

What the hell are we paying FEMA and Homeland Security for? Aren't they supposed to be preparing for large disasters (terror attacks)? Aren't they supposed to be ready instantly? They KNEW Katrina was coming. They KNEW New Orleans could experience exactly what happened. For Christ's sake, how can they be prepared for an unanticipated terror event, or several events?

Sure, it is a major diaster. The infrastructure is gone. But six days to get significant federal help? People dying of dehydration, heat, and lack of medical care at an evacuation center they were told to go to? The reporters seem to have gotten to those places.

There are some smart and experienced people here whose opinions I respect. Personally, I'd take every freaking bureaucrat from New Orleans to DC, toss em into a flooded New Orleans street, and just leave em there. Am I alone in feeling this way?

What the hell is going on here?

Reply to
Gary

Yep.

Mostly state.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Clearly to spend our tax dollars. And a fanciful job they do too.

Haven't you heard the stories of advance notice of 9/11 too?

How many days since the levy broke?

That is beyond sad, but it is the GOVERNOR that mobilizes the National Guard.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Welcome to rmr.

I'm glad we cleared that up!

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

All countries buy the same crude at the same prices.

Europe has a SPR of REFINED fuels.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Point

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

ACOE knew of the breeches Tuesday morning, so they probably occurred Monday night sometime.

I'm talking basic resources for a designated evacuation site. If there was nothing there and nothing coming, why send people to it?

Its not just the Feds by any means.

Reply to
Gary

Your high fuel taxes preceded the Bush and Blair administrations by decades.

Reply to
Steven P. McNicoll

SSSHHHH!!! You'll spoil it for him!!! How else will he cope if he doesn't have someone to blame it on???

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White

POINT!

The first one to drop the ball was the governor of Louisiana. No amount of his yelling profanities will change the fact he is the one that screwed up at the start.

Randy

<randyolb

Only because our gov't has the audio tapes that would prove Princess Di was rubbed out on orders from ##############, and thus has a bit of leverage over your gov't. ;-)

Reply to
Vince

I believe the governor of Louisiana is a she, and the mayor of New Orleans that yelled the profanities.

Reply to
Steven P. McNicoll

I find it hard to believe you never had excessive taxation on gas prior to the Bush presidency.

Reply to
raydunakin