BuyRockets.com - was it worth the cost?

  1. Ask yourself this. Why would NAR and TRA both NOT want to have policies that encourage non-members to be able to legally comply as a method of a membership farm program? NON-MEMBER CONSUMER CERTS THAT DO NOT EXPIRE.

a. Non-members regularly comply and fly model rockets as a direct result of NAR and TRA service programs (motor certs).

  1. Your 7000 figure is an overestimate. by >2SD.
Reply to
Jerry Irvine

If flyrockets.com was worth the cost to "some people" then the obvious solution is to REPEAT THE PROCESS with the folks that felt it was worth it for whatever reason.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

per Bunny's post earlier this week, just under 5K.

Bob Kaplow

30% penetration might be true in sections, but not in the general population. IMHO this number is an order of magnitude too high.
10% penetration might be true in sections, but not in the general population. IMHO this number is AT LEAST TWO orders of magnitude too high. 7000 + 60000 + 1000000 is about a million people a year who fly rockets. Which sound about right based on extes making a million motors a month.

Bob Kaplow

can we keep it clean, guys! There are minors on USENET you know!

;)

- iz

Reply to
Ismaeel Abdur-Rasheed

Thank you craig for actually answering my question. It is apreciated! O.C.

Reply to
OTAK15

Why? It's over. Is anyone discussing doing it again?

Reply to
Phil Stein

I was trying to estimate "active" rocketeers who fly regularly. I did not include folks who fly only once or twice a year or less. And I didn't think we should include those who fly as part of some organization (Boy Scouts, CAP, 4-H, school).

I'm not sure extrapolating from Estes sales figures will provide any insight into the number of active rocketeers. First off, these numbers may be exaggerated for PR purposes. Secondly, I've heard that there's some guy named Kaplow who buys a motor from every batch Estes ever made.... :*)

Cheers, Craig Craig R. Saunders, crs at MaxThrust.net,

News and Information for model rockets and high-power rocketry

Reply to
Craig R. Saunders

Me.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

As far as Estes, we have a pretty good approximation of annual motor sales. We do not have a good approximation for motors per person per year.

But even so we have a working knowlege that since motors are packaged 3 to a pack the most possible customers is sales/3.

On the other hand some of us have a feeling for "typical" annual usage. That might be closer to 12-24 per year "on average".

A million a month/24= 41,666 * 12 = 500,000 consumers

Estes does not know either. They probably have a more accurate number of per consumer annual usage than my WAG, but again, maybe not!

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

How does one get LIFE membership?

Bob

Reply to
baDBob

You have to give NAR credit for full disclosure.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Reply to
AZ Woody

I don't know about others, but I know about 10 people in addition to myself who fly and are members of neither organization.

Bob

Reply to
baDBob

It is a large donation. I do not know if there are criteria, but if there are I probably do not qualify :)

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

thats really good news Dave !

Reply to
almax

not include folks who fly

those who fly as

Probably not...for Estes Industries, the modal customer is one who flies once or twice a year - so the Estes sales figures don't really tell you who the really 'active' guys are.

Reply to
Mark Johnson