Complicating a problem

With a government that wants to take control of everything and a bunch of people believing in "reduce the population because we're ruining the planet" and the new world order, no matter what we do anything pyrotechnic will most likely be strictly regulated out of existence. The government already deemed anything pyrotechnic a threat to their existence...

Reply to
Tai Fu

Which government are you talking about, yours are ours?

Reply to
Charles

Reply to
nitram578

YYEESSSS !!!

You Go !

Reply to
John Karpich

What, no more crackers? That's almost anti Chinese.

Reply to
Alan Jones

Too bad that judge isn't the one handling our lawsuit vs ATF.

Reply to
raydunakin

What, no more crackers? That's almost anti Chinese.

No, just authoritarian. The natural tendency of all governments anywhere, as well as most "concerned citizen's" groups and religious orders.

Reply to
matt wilson

Which lane were you in? Were there people queued up behind you wanting to get by?

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

Here is an experiment for you. Take one motorcycle. Get on Interstate

85 heading into Atlanta. Ride at the speed limit.

Notify next of kin before you leave, though, because stupid would be insisting on riding at the posted limit and ignoring the flow of traffic. You can get a brass pin for being such an upstanding citizen...I'll put it on your casket for you. The trooper is the one who deserves the medal, as that was an uncommon display of common sense.

You can do the experiment in a car if you prefer serious injury to death, but the results will otherwise be the same. You will get punted.

Reply to
Tweak

Thank you for making my point. Speed limits are for revenue generation, not safety.

If you were driving the posted speed limit, and traffic around you was moving 20mph faster, you are impeding traffic flow, and a safety hazard to everyone else. The solution to the problem is to fix the speed limits in this country.

And while you're at it, eliminate the congestion. I'm still waiting to see someone get a tciket for doing 10 mph in a posted 45 minimum zone. Of course during rush hour around here, you're lucky if you get up to 10 mph. I've driven down a 12 miles stretch of I90 on my way to work, and never ONCE made it UP to the minimum posted speed.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

Too bad that judge didn't toss the posted speed limit for that road as being invalid.

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

Well, since you agreed with me, I now have to agree with you. Most speed limit laws in this country just don't make any sense, and should be fixed. What we end up with is a "gentlemens agreement" where everyone violates the law, and any one can be ticketed at any time. I.E. A police state.

I'll go with the 20 mph school zones WHEN KIDS ARE PRESENT.

Construction speed zones should ONLY apply when workers are present. And the traffic barriers hsould only be up when work is actually being done. Repair projects should be designed to minimize motorist inconvenience. I once saw a study that showed that most projects would never pay for the delays they caused duing the construction with time savings afterwards!

Reply to
Bob Kaplow

.
Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Hmmm.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

ATF does not regulate shipping.

Perhaps BOTH you and Aerotech are confused.

You are certainly BOTH confused on 27 CFR 555.141-a-8.

Here'sproof: "look at AEROTECH's price sheets, restricted access is where you need your LEUP"

You pointed out a shipping "problem" which PERHAPS you are not a part of.

You then ignored an even greater problem. Treating exempt goods as regulated WRT BATFE.

Perhaps voluntary COMPLIANCE should be attempted by you and Aerotech sometime.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Doug I was in the right lane and they were not lined up behind me but people were changing lanes repeatedly to get in the right lane and then back to left lane that is where his supposed safety of traffic was coming from.

Reply to
nitram578

Bob, so if everyone is going to jump off a bridge I should to? And people wonder WHY we pay so much for auto insurance in this country.

Reply to
nitram578

No, only if you're AMD and Intel is doing the jumping :)

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

When you're in the right lane, you have every right to drive the speed limit - min OR max - or whatever you choose. While I sometimes wish the guy in the right lane in front of me would go faster, I know that's the slow lane and I gotta deal with it.

The cop was wrong.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

Maybe not.

However, if everyone is jumping off a bridge, I would certainly look around and see if there is a reason for it, and come to my own conclusion. For example, if it was a railroad bridge and a train was coming, and there was water under the bridge, I'd probably follow them right off. Same thing if the bridge were collapsing (whether or not there was water underneath) -- I'd rather jump out of the way of the falling debris than be part of it. Don't think that just because you're obstinate, that you're right...

In the case of traffic, most speed limits are there purely for the purpose of raising revenue. 'Normal' human beings try to 'optimize' their lives (it's economics at the most basic of levels). They want to minimize the amount of time spent in unproductive travel, but also minimize risk. Thus, there tends to be a homeostasis of a 'normal' traffic speed.

If, in fact, the flow of traffic was such that you were impeding it, and causing an obstruction, then yes, YOU were at fault. The law requires you to be a safe driver, as well. Given that the trooper could not pull over the 99% of other cars, he was faced with a dilemmal. His dilemma

-- pull over the one guy who was creating the unsafe condition (an 'effective' solution), or pull over one of the dozens/hundreds of people who were speeding (an 'ineffective' solution).

He did the right thing, and the judge is as much a pinhead as you are. It pains me to say that, as I try not to use derogatory terms, but in this case I really feel it's deserved.

David Erbas-White

David Erbas-White

Reply to
David Erbas-White