Complicating a problem

wrote:

OK Jerry, ship me some motors. I promise that I will not pay you anything for them, nor any remuneration of any kind. These will be strictly for my collection. I don't have a LEUP, but I could some of your G7's, for my collection.
Alan
Alan Jones wrote:

G7 = killer RCRG propulsion
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75
Jerry Irvine wrote:

Why don't you show it to Us.

That's true. Speeding allegedly causes or contributes to tens of thousands of accidents every year, with actual deaths, injuries, property damage and public and political visibility.
The example you cite does none of these things.

Also incorrect. Speeding, which where I live is defined as driving 56 MPH on roads that were designed for 80 MPH, is rarely the cause of an accident.
DUI is the #1 cause of accidents. Driving too fast for conditions is #2 (note, this can be driving 20mph in a 55 zone in bad weather). Driving while distracted (cell phone, newspaper, gawking, etc) is one of the top ten. Speeding doesn't even make the top ten.
Speed limit enforcement is all about revenue generation, NOT about safety.
There is a DOT reg that requires that speed limits be set to the speed at which 85% of the drivers would remain under if there were no posted speed limit. It requires engineering studies. These are rarely done.
If I were to drive 55 on the roads to work, I'd be passed by every car ont he road, and would be a major safety hazard to the traffic that is moving at 80.
kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) wrote:

Cite it.

Bob, If they are that stupid to drive at that speed so be it. Because " everyone else " is doing it is not a logical reason for you to do so. Let alone the legalality of it. I was recently given a ticket for going at the posted speed limit for obstruction of traffic flow. I went to court the Trooper was put on the stand I asked him to explain to the court what happened. He spoke at length, not once saying I was at the speed limit. When directly asked how fast I was going he stated 75mph. I then asked the posted speed limit on that stretch of I-80. He stated 75 mph. The next sound was the judges gavel coming down and six words. "Case Dismissed, Trooper my chambers NOW!" with the judge pointing to me and crooking his finger for me to follow. We all went to his chamber with two bailiffs and the judge reemed him a new one and told him to apologise to me and the court for wasting all of our time. He did so reluctantly. The Trooper tried to use the excuse of traffic flow for safety which did not work at all. As the judge said "The law says this and you are sworn to uphold said law but you chose to single out the only one complying. Let me never see this in my court again."
writes:

nitram578 wrote:

YYEESSSS !!!
You Go !
nitram578 wrote:

Too bad that judge isn't the one handling our lawsuit vs ATF.

Too bad that judge didn't toss the posted speed limit for that road as being invalid.
nitram578 wrote:

Which lane were you in? Were there people queued up behind you wanting to get by?
Doug
Doug I was in the right lane and they were not lined up behind me but people were changing lanes repeatedly to get in the right lane and then back to left lane that is where his supposed safety of traffic was coming from.

When you're in the right lane, you have every right to drive the speed limit - min OR max - or whatever you choose. While I sometimes wish the guy in the right lane in front of me would go faster, I know that's the slow lane and I gotta deal with it.
The cop was wrong.
Doug

TY, Doug

Here is an experiment for you. Take one motorcycle. Get on Interstate 85 heading into Atlanta. Ride at the speed limit.
Notify next of kin before you leave, though, because stupid would be insisting on riding at the posted limit and ignoring the flow of traffic. You can get a brass pin for being such an upstanding citizen...I'll put it on your casket for you. The trooper is the one who deserves the medal, as that was an uncommon display of common sense.
You can do the experiment in a car if you prefer serious injury to death, but the results will otherwise be the same. You will get punted.
--
Tweak

Well, since you agreed with me, I now have to agree with you. Most speed limit laws in this country just don't make any sense, and should be fixed. What we end up with is a "gentlemens agreement" where everyone violates the law, and any one can be ticketed at any time. I.E. A police state.
I'll go with the 20 mph school zones WHEN KIDS ARE PRESENT.
Construction speed zones should ONLY apply when workers are present. And the traffic barriers hsould only be up when work is actually being done. Repair projects should be designed to minimize motorist inconvenience. I once saw a study that showed that most projects would never pay for the delays they caused duing the construction with time savings afterwards!
kaplow snipped-for-privacy@encompasserve.org.mars (Bob Kaplow) wrote:

.

Thank you for making my point. Speed limits are for revenue generation, not safety.
If you were driving the posted speed limit, and traffic around you was moving 20mph faster, you are impeding traffic flow, and a safety hazard to everyone else. The solution to the problem is to fix the speed limits in this country.
And while you're at it, eliminate the congestion. I'm still waiting to see someone get a tciket for doing 10 mph in a posted 45 minimum zone. Of course during rush hour around here, you're lucky if you get up to 10 mph. I've driven down a 12 miles stretch of I90 on my way to work, and never ONCE made it UP to the minimum posted speed.
Bob, so if everyone is going to jump off a bridge I should to? And people wonder WHY we pay so much for auto insurance in this country.

No, only if you're AMD and Intel is doing the jumping :)
Doug