Complicating a problem

nitram578 wrote:

Maybe not.
However, if everyone is jumping off a bridge, I would certainly look around and see if there is a reason for it, and come to my own conclusion. For example, if it was a railroad bridge and a train was coming, and there was water under the bridge, I'd probably follow them right off. Same thing if the bridge were collapsing (whether or not there was water underneath) -- I'd rather jump out of the way of the falling debris than be part of it. Don't think that just because you're obstinate, that you're right...
In the case of traffic, most speed limits are there purely for the purpose of raising revenue. 'Normal' human beings try to 'optimize' their lives (it's economics at the most basic of levels). They want to minimize the amount of time spent in unproductive travel, but also minimize risk. Thus, there tends to be a homeostasis of a 'normal' traffic speed.
If, in fact, the flow of traffic was such that you were impeding it, and causing an obstruction, then yes, YOU were at fault. The law requires you to be a safe driver, as well. Given that the trooper could not pull over the 99% of other cars, he was faced with a dilemmal. His dilemma -- pull over the one guy who was creating the unsafe condition (an 'effective' solution), or pull over one of the dozens/hundreds of people who were speeding (an 'ineffective' solution).
He did the right thing, and the judge is as much a pinhead as you are. It pains me to say that, as I try not to use derogatory terms, but in this case I really feel it's deserved.
David Erbas-White
David Erbas-White
You have the right to your opinion but you were not there and are not aware of the fact that I was in the right lane going the posted speed limit and people were swapping lanes back and forth not signalling and failing to observe my right of way, and tailgating.. If they want to drive 80-90 fine but in so doing STAY in the left lane. Because you and others wish to drive faster does not allow you to violate all the other things that make a safe driver. If that makes me a pinhead fine, that is your opinion, but in that I shall be a live pinhead and sooner or later you may not be.

nitram578 wrote:

I retract my statement about your pinheadness. If you were in the right lane, while I think you were being obstinate and unwise, that is your prerogative. In reviewing the thread, I find I had overlooked the fact that you were in the right lane, and apologize.
My statement regarding how I see MOST folks who elect to 'send a message' by driving the speed limit in heavier/faster traffic stands -- I see it far too often, and very typically in the left lane of even 5 lane freeways (I'm in southern California).
My statement regarding the judge stands, as well -- if he had stood on the fact that you were in the right lane (which I didn't find indicated in your statements) vs. his dressing down the trooper because you were merely obeying the speed limit, it tells me he is an academic instead of a real-world person.
David Erbas-White

David Erbas-White wrote:

I agree. What really bugs me are the clods who are unclear on the concept of carpool lanes -- the whole point of that lane is to drive faster than the poor saps in the other lanes. That's the incentive that's supposed to encourage people to be politicially correct. Having access to a special lane where you can pass everyone else is a reward given to those who are happen to have a passenger onboard (or are driving a politically-correct car, or have paid the extra extortion fees, etc.), and to punish the peons who don't fit those categories. Yet I frequently encounter idiots who block the carpool lane driving slower than the rest of the traffic on the freeway!
;
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

That's nothing. Here in MN the term 'slow traffic stay right' is totally non-existent. In particular the mpls/st. paul area we have buttheads that INTENTIALY go the exact speed limit, and often slower, in the left lane! Last spring a local news station did a report on this MN *phenomina* and they actually interviewed some of these buttheads. They're excuse???? Here's a actual quote, 'There is no reason why you need to go faster!'.
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75
Sounds like The area around Ft. Wayne IN. Most of the time the right hand lane is faster!!
Dennis

That's because Margaret is driving and not Frank. ; )
Randy www.vernarockets.com
Apology accepted and no harm done. At least you are man enough to apologize. My original thread did not indicate the fact I was in the right lane for this I apologize to you. I did post it above to Doug Sams and that post above may have easily been overlooked.

nitram578 wrote:

Not a valid analogy. Driving at a speed compatible with the flow of traffic is not comparable to jumping off a bridge. On the contrary, the person impeding traffic is the one creating a hazard.
writes:

Well, at least you should have the right to do so. And if you like, I'll be glad to help you.

I'm curious what state I-80 has 75mph limits ?
I've only seen 50, 55, 60,65 and 70 so far on I80 turnpike(s)
I imagine out in the far plains ?
is it a toll road out their ?

CA has it on I-15.

NE no tolls

snipped-for-privacy@aol.com says...

What Ray said.
--
Tweak

But Ray said it re me many times. He is a supreme hypocrite.
Jerry Irvine wrote:

"Many times"? How about never.
jerry, Why don't you quote one of these supposed posts by Ray, or are you lying again?
Jerry Irvine wrote:

Bull. I have never said that you were going to cause the end of the hobby.
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

I asked jerry to provide a cite to support is lie, but he was unable to.
Countdown Hobbies wrote:

ATF regulations specifically allow for holders of user permits to sell surplus stocks to other licensees or permittees. But if you make a habit of this, the ATF will likely decide that you are abusing this provision of the regulations.
See 27 CFR 555.102(b)(2) at:
http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/waisidx_05/27cfr555_05.html
--
David W. Schultz
http://home.earthlink.net/~david.schultz /

Depends on who you ask. Even with the BATFE, this isn't consistent across the country. I've bought "easy access" reloads and have yet to be asked for my LEUP by any dealer. In fact most of the dealers I've bought from don't sell anything regulated, yet they have H I and J reloads for sale. Yet my local JBGT seems to think that these motors are regulated. They WILL be if the provisions of NPRM ### (can't recall the number offhand) become law and we don't prevail in court, but they aren't yet. YMMV and other disclaimers apply.

You are correct that lots of private parties are selling motors, and most likely shipping them illegally. So is Grandma when she buys the starter set and ships it via mail or UPS to the grandkids out of state. I can't even legally ship a quart of motor oil I bought for a friend of mine down in GA!
And ROL does nothing but encourage this behavior. So complain to ROL. BUt be forwarned, they don't like ANYONE airing dirty laundry, especially about them. They send everyone to RMR for that :-)