Effects of getting a LEUP...

The ATF does not have the authority to snoop around your house. Check out the law at:
http://www4.law.cornell.edu/uscode /
You want Title 18, Chapter 40
And the regulations at:
http://www.access.gpo.gov/nara/cfr/cfr-table-search.html
Title 27 part 555.
The regulations derive their authority from the law.
The law (18 USC 843(f) states:
The Attorney General may enter during business hours the premises (including places of storage) of any licensee or holder of a user permit, for the purpose of inspecting or examining (1) any records or documents required to be kept by such licensee or permittee, under the provisions of this chapter or regulations issued hereunder, and (2) any explosive materials kept or stored by such licensee or permittee at such premises. ...
The Secretary [1] may inspect the places of storage for explosive materials of an applicant for a limited permit or, at the time of renewal of such permit, a holder of a limited permit, only as provided in subsection (b)(4).
The regulations implementing the law state:
555.24 Right of entry and examination.
(a) Any ATF officer may enter during business hours the premises, including places of storage, of any licensee or holder of a user permit for the purpose of inspecting or examining any records or documents required to be kept under this part, and any facilities in which explosive materials are kept or stored.
So it would appear that the ATF only has authority for warrantless searches of your records and storage. If they want more, they will need either your permission or a search warrant.
I first applied for a permit (by the way, there is no longer any such thing as a LEUP) in 1997 during the first big ATF 62.5 gram scare. Two agents came and interviewed me. They couldn't inspect my storage because I didn't have any. At that time you could have a permit without storage. It wasn't until after the Safe Explosives Act that the ATF deleted the language in the regulations that provided that option. I never could find anything in the SEA that justified that action.
After that I did not see another ATF agent until after 9/11. I received a phone call around renewal time and that was it. I next saw an agent at renewal time in 2004. The agent looked at my records and hand copied some information from them. She also looked at my spiffy new magazine. (More details of my renewal at http://home.earthlink.net/~david.schultz/regulation/renewal.html )
I have not seen or heard from the ATF since then.
The questionnaire the agent used during that interview still has not been approved by the OMB. Federal regulations prohibit any federal agency from using an unapproved information collection and also prohibit them from taking adverse action against anyone who refuses to participate in an unapproved collection. Keep that in mind if they trot it out for you.
Contrary to the behavior of the ATF in Washington, most field agents know that APCP is not a threat and only want to get the process completed so they can get back to doing something useful.
snipped-for-privacy@pacbell.net wrote:

--
David W. Schultz
http://home.earthlink.net/~david.schultz /

They used that form with my last renewal / inspection as well. I asked for a copy and was refused. I asked for a copy of their list of regulated motors and was refused. I asked for a copy of the LAW that regulated motors over 62.5 grams and she showed me her copy of the federal register with the nPrm.

Which still makes them a bunch of useless JBGTs.

Just what do they plan to do with the information in question 18 ;)
how many bsods would they want to track.
All, Thanks for all the answers.
KT