[FFT]philosophical musings: self regulation

BTW that is the interpretation I faIled toget applied at my NAR expulsion hearing.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

whena person use non certified commercial motors is that ex or ar? I don't think so..ex or ar is non certified non commercial motors...

shockie B)

Reply to
shockwaveriderz

Well, in your first message you said "Lets say [...] you use uncertified, non-commercial motors", but now you are referring to "non certified commercial motors"... you mean taking something like an industrial line-towing motor and using it to try to launch a rocket?

Would you call it a Bad Thing if someone did that? (I'd call it "amateur rocketry" if one did it as a personal project and "commercial rocketry" if it was part of a business endeavor... either way, outside the scope of "Model Rocketry".)

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

So you mean if someone were use a non-certified motor (commercial in nature or otherwise) on their own time, (your words) at a private launch with their own waiver,(if applicable) that they should be booted from the NAR? No.

There's an old saying that goes something like the more you stir $hit, the more it stinks. What do you hope to gain from this discussion?

Reply to
J.A. Michel

I think Shockie is nostalgic for the days of the "who flew the G" witch-hunts. (Can that be what he _really_ has in mind when he refers to "self-regulation"?)

I'm glad I missed that. (Some of the early Lucerne launches might have been neat - when HPR _was_ basically "non-certified commercial" motors because the whole "motor certification" trip, beyond what NAR may have had for MR-sized motors, hadn't really got started yet... and the line between "recognized commercial manufacturers" and amateurs making some extra motors to sell at launches had yet to be etched in stone.)

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Simple - they don't fly. However if I am RSO at an EX launch, they have to be qualified to fly. If it's a TRA lanuch, they have to be a TRA member to fly EX. At Indy launch, it doesn't matter if they have to be a membeber of TRA or NAR to be certified. End of story.

Reply to
Phil Stein

Poor Jerry

Reply to
Phil Stein

One of the meeting where Terry was whining about the minutes being late?

Reply to
Phil Stein

Poor Jerry. You've recently said that you are a member of NAR so you can stop whining now.

Reply to
Phil Stein

After reviewing these posts it appears that I have un-intentionally violated the Model Rocket Safety Code myself......

Rule #

3) Ignition System - I will launch my rockets with an electrical launch system and electrical motor igniters. My launch system will have a safety interlock in series with the launch switch, and will use a launch switch that returns to the "off" position when released.

(I just had 50ft of electrical wire with alligator clips at each end..........The Dog chewed up my Vaughan Bro's Relay Launcher)

6) Launcher - I will launch my rocket from a launch rod, tower, or rail that is pointed to within 30 degrees of the vertical to ensure that the rocket flies nearly straight up, and I will use a blast deflector to prevent the motor's exhaust from hitting the ground. To prevent accidental eye injury, I will place launchers so that the end of the launch rod is above eye level or will cap the end of the rod when it is not in use.

(I forgot to put a cap on the end of the launch rod and it was lower than my eye level)

11) Recovery Safety - I will not attempt to recover my rocket from power lines, tall trees, or other dangerous places.

(I used a tractor to shake the sh*t out of a 65ft tree to get my baby back)

I shall amend my ways...........

Reply to
CJC

The minutes are proscribed in the Corporate rules. When they are late it is a "bad thing".

If Shockmeister brings it to your attention in a way he seems to be whining (fairly common), too bad so sad.

That does not change the fact the minutes ARE required.

Nor require you to post several messages to rmr saying "he whined". It is obvious.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I have asked him offline if he wanted to do something positive with all this energy. He said no. So I will go with stink as the goal.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

There's an understatement. True freeform rocketry.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Shocked:

Sounds like proposal fodder. I "wish" consumer certs were mere merit badges.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

WHICH Fed law??

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Wrong.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

jerry, you were booted for bouncing a check to the NAR.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

False.

Reply to