[FFT]philosophical musings: self regulation

That's what I was going to say too. Dragonbreath. The first use of the Kline Valve!
People who exercise their embryonic freedom day after day, little by little, expand that freedom. People who do not will find that it withers until they are literally "being lived." They are acting out scripts written by parents, associates, and society. --Stephen R. Covey

Point.
No good deed goes unpunished.
Jerry

Sigh, Sounds like another lovely Zero-Tolerance policy............
Jim M wrote:

Who invented that whole "zero tolerence" trip? What were the circumstances of the meme's first emergence?
-dave w
says...

Schools? Some kid couldn't stand zero so they set up a tolerance for zero policy to go along with all the other PC policies?
--
Tweak
Chicken Tolerant
shockwaveriderz wrote:

That would depend on exactly what the "linking language" by which the state in question had associated the NFPA codes with its regulations. If the state has a regulation "no rocket launching allowed, except for model rockets according to the provisions of NFPA-1122", that's one thing - is that, specifically, what you mean by an "NFPA state"?
-dave w
shockwaveriderz wrote:

nothing
the
Completely non-serious.

be to

I'd do nothing, since it's (A) not a serious problem and (B) none of my business.

Here's some guidance: Quit spending so much time worrying about what _others_ are doing, or might be doing. Unless someone is creating an immediate and serious hazard to life or property, what they do on their own is none of your business.

I could answer :)

We have seen.
The answer is no.

It becameme meaningless the moment it was replaced by "hard regulation".
Jerry
On Tue, 26 Apr 2005 01:23:51 GMT, "shockwaveriderz"

Simple - they don't fly. However if I am RSO at an EX launch, they have to be qualified to fly. If it's a TRA lanuch, they have to be a TRA member to fly EX. At Indy launch, it doesn't matter if they have to be a membeber of TRA or NAR to be certified. End of story.
shockwaveriderz wrote:

What's a "non-commercial model rocket motor"?
Isn't that a contradiction in terms?
As far as NAR membership issues, IIRC the sign-up form says that one agrees to conduct one's SPORT rocketry activities according to the applicable safety codes. Flying with "non-commercial" motors is amateur rocketry, not "sport" or "model" rocketry.
Why do you feel that NAR or "the sport rocket community" ought to keep its members from doing any kind of rocketry outside the scope of NAR-approved activities?
"Self-regulation of model rocketry" means that when we fly model rockets, we do so according to applicable safety codes. It does not mean that we consider ourselves banned from doing any other kind of rocketry besides "model rocketry".
The model rocket safety code only provides specifications on how to fly _model rockets_... where in the MR code does it say "I will never fly any other kind of rocket _except_ a model rocket"? Last I saw, that _wasn't_ one of the provisions.
-dave w
david: I am not talking about Amateur rocketry.. I am talking about people smuggling in model rocket motors which are uncertfied BUT commercial in nature and using them on their own time..
shockie B)

So you mean if someone were use a non-certified motor (commercial in nature or otherwise) on their own time, (your words) at a private launch with their own waiver,(if applicable) that they should be booted from the NAR? No.
There's an old saying that goes something like the more you stir $hit, the more it stinks. What do you hope to gain from this discussion?
--
Joe Michel
NAR 82797 L2
"J.A. Michel" wrote:

I think Shockie is nostalgic for the days of the "who flew the G" witch-hunts. (Can that be what he _really_ has in mind when he refers to "self-regulation"?)
I'm glad I missed that. (Some of the early Lucerne launches might have been neat - when HPR _was_ basically "non-certified commercial" motors because the whole "motor certification" trip, beyond what NAR may have had for MR-sized motors, hadn't really got started yet... and the line between "recognized commercial manufacturers" and amateurs making some extra motors to sell at launches had yet to be etched in stone.)
-dave w

There's an understatement. True freeform rocketry.

I have asked him offline if he wanted to do something positive with all this energy. He said no. So I will go with stink as the goal.

It must be a blue moon out or something, because I agree. You're right, nothing but stink can come from this discussion.
--
Joe Michel
NAR 82797 L2

Nope, next blue moon 31-May-2007. Last blue moon, 31-Jul-2004.
People who exercise their embryonic freedom day after day, little by little, expand that freedom. People who do not will find that it withers until they are literally "being lived." They are acting out scripts written by parents, associates, and society. --Stephen R. Covey
J.A. Michel wrote:

Ditto!
Ted Novak TRA#5512 IEAS#75

Myself and two of my friends were removed from NAR. Times have changed.
But not much.