[FFT]philosophical musings: self regulation

No wonder I do not qualify!
On 26 Apr 2005 13:16:00 -0700, "shreadvector"

Mea culpa. I'm truly sorry to hear of the additional deaths and injuries at various manufacturers. I had only heard of the one employee killed in the Aerotech fire; I hadn't heard of the others.
However, my main point still stands -- compared to most hobby activities, rocketry is *incredibly* safe. Especially for participants, even if not necessarily so for manufacturers.
- Rick "How many kids killed by baseballs last year?" Dickinson
--
"I've always been taught that if you code an arbitrary limit, try to
make it a power of two, or at least avoid powers of ten, so people

I was hit by a baseball once...it hurt....
--
John "hasn't been hit by a rocket..yet" Bowles ;)
NAR# 84674

I was hit by a rocket once. It didn't hurt much.

Then it wasn't thrown hard enough. 8-)
Jerry Irvine wrote:

It must have hit you in the head.

Now that you have degenerated this post like you have done to THOUSANDS before it.
The stick rocket wars were indeed "hectic" but even the "direct hits" were surprisingly benign.
As for the obvious brain damage I have, I have been cured by a couple years direct contact with Brian Teeling, Tim Collins, and Bill Lee.
Now I am back to normal.
Frank says "get a life".
Jerry
Oh, you're probably correct about the manufacturers as well. How many industrial accidents occur at baseball factories? And baseball bat factories? (Let's not even talk about the hideous conditions at certain factories http://www2.warnerbros.com/wonkaindustries/ )

NONE of those are consumer injuries.
They are manufacturing issues.

Consumer model rocketry is literally safer than needlepoint!

Rick Dickinson wrote:

At a LUNAR launch a few years ago, there was a scheduling glitch and the park department scheduled a soccer tournament in the adjacent fields on the same day. We were trying to pull the recoveries in on top of ourselves instead of aiming for the soccer field (normally empty when we fly), but the soccer moms were freaked by the rockets anyway. The kids seemed to think it was neat: I think the coaches were a bit miffed that the kids kept slipping over to watch the rockets between games instead of hanging around to get pep-talked... there was an ambulance arrival, which never normally happens at our launches, but evidently someone managed to sustain a "911-class" injury playing soccer!
Maybe soccer needs to have its national association promulgate a safety code and try to get everyone to regerence it in some kind of government regulation... :)
-dave w

R O F L

Point. I should change industries!

That is a TRA thang.

Manufacturing model rockets is *NOT* model rocketry. And the sad truth is that it is a dangerous business and it has resulted in several fatalities.
But if you look at what Harry saw in the late 50s, at the start of the space race, we're WAY ahead of the "Basement Bombers". And WAY ahead of where the JBGTs are pushing the hobby.
People who exercise their embryonic freedom day after day, little by little, expand that freedom. People who do not will find that it withers until they are literally "being lived." They are acting out scripts written by parents, associates, and society. --Stephen R. Covey

I AM IMMUNE.
TRA AND NAR SAY SO !
Jerry
snip
I had no idea. Seriously, I've never heard half of that. Who says rmr is not informative.

Is that right Bob? You were on the jury? I'd love to hear about that. Really.
Randy http://vernarockets.com /
No, Martin Bowitz, president of SCRA, was on the jury.
David Erbas-White
snipped-for-privacy@charter.net wrote:

Doh!
Sorry, it's this new prescription monitor. ; )
Randy http://vernarockets.com /

I think he posted to rmr about it ONCE.
Fetch.

Martin Bowitz (member of Fred's club) was on the jury. I remember hearing about it from Martin, but don't recall the details. IIRC 2-3 fatalities. I remember both the Quest and AT incidents, they weren't that long ago.
The fireworks industry is full of incidents, both in manufacturing, sales / distribution, and consumer use.
People who exercise their embryonic freedom day after day, little by little, expand that freedom. People who do not will find that it withers until they are literally "being lived." They are acting out scripts written by parents, associates, and society. --Stephen R. Covey
On 26 Apr 2005 22:11:58 -0700, " snipped-for-privacy@aol.com"

I like that! :-) I read a novel a while ago, that had another relevant saying...
"The State exists for the People - NOT the People for the State."
Governments are supposed to be our servants, not our all-controlling Masters.